inTank Media Baskets

My 5G Pico

bunjiweb

Some pics of one of my "pico" reefs which is just under 5G. This one has lots of mushrooms, zoanthids and other polyps, a baby scooter blenny, 2 hermits and a turbo snail. Filtered by a Resun internal filter (with spray bar) and a nano 25W heater. Lighting from an 11W Compact T5.

aprilpico2.jpg

aprilpico.jpg

aprilpico3.jpg

aprilpico4.jpg

Ben :)

I like your tank except for the dragonet. He will never make it long term in a 5 gal. I hope you have a plan for him because the pods in a 5 will not keep him going for long.

Of course he wont stay in there! He's barely 1" at the moment so he will do fine for the mo.

Im planning on moving my nano into a bigger tank anyway, hopefully 22-25G so he will go in there once thats done.

He has been in there for about a month and i still see lots of pods crawling around.

So, how are planning on keeping fed while the bigger tank matures. I don't mean to pick at you, but I think that it is unfortunate when people buy dragonets for nanos. At least when people put tangs in nanos it is easier to find a suitable home for them when they get large. It is hard to find someone with a large established reef to take your dragonet and save him if and when he starts to get emaciated.

I have a friend with a 4x2x2 reef that it could go into happily if i am not happy with its living conditions.

Or i could just take it to the aquatic shop i work at where we have 42 marine tanks ;)

Ben

Wow, you work at an LFS. Do you sell everyone with a 5 gal. a dragonet? Remember to set an example, people might get the wrong idea about dragonet husbandry.

No of course not, but then not everyone has lots of friends with reef tanks and access to the facilities I have at work.

Anyway, what example am i having to set? There are other people on these forums with fish in smaller tanks, this is a NANO REEF FORUM. I don't tell customers to put dragonets in such a small tank because in the long term its a stupid idea, but I am a very careful reefkeeper and would remove it if i thought it was being malnourished.

I suggest you don't get on your high horse as I cannot see any evidence that you are an experienced reef keeper, all i can find of yours is a thread wondering why you had been banned from another forum.

Please do NOT slate me for keeping a dragonet, People make big assumptions, and go on opinions of others when they havent even experienced anything themselves.

If you ever get the chance to run a 5G nano where you can use fully mature water from a shop system to do twice weekly water changes, as well as fully mature live rock that is crammed with copepods, you might realise that it is easier than in the average small tank.

If you have a chip on your shoulder I suggest you PM me and not try to trash my thread.

Ben

Dude you are getting a little defensive. Listen, I have worked at a LFS probably longer than you have been alive. Read my posts, not the thread I started and you will understand that I am no beginner. Plenty of stores in my area will sell a dragonet to anyone with money. What does your store do? When a customer asks you what is in your 5 gal., do you tell them you have a dragonet? If you do you are setting a bad example. Customers will buy dragonets with the idea of moving them to a bigger tank, but surprise it rarely if ever happens. What happens? Dragonet starves or gets too emaciated before it is moved to survive. I have seen it lots more than you almost guaranteed, so don’t tee off on me because I don’t post picks on this site. There are many gobies that do great in nanos, but dragonets are not suitable. So, who is on the high horse? It seems that you are practicing husbandry that you would not recommend to others. IMO you are woefully overestimating your abilities as a reef keeper at the peril of not only your own animals, but also your customers. BTW reinstated at RC.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived