SaltCritters.com

South Down MUCK?

Wigguh Noony

Today I was messing around with my tank, and I happened to check in the sump... Theres nothing special in the sump, just a heater, and the intake for the pump- so I don't do much with it.

In the bottom of the sump, was about 1.5" of MUCK. I dont know what it's from, but I would guess that its from my South Down?

Should I clean it? I have no clue how I would do so, since my wet/dry is huge- and the muck is so fine that when you try to use a net to scoop it out- it just goes right through. Im thinking about using a brine shimp net. :*(

Depending on how long its been there, the size of your tank, etc the only thing I would take into consideration would be the anaerobic bacteria colonys that could be set up in there. If you have a large tank with steady biological filtration then I would say you could scoop it out or syphon it out. If this tank is really small and the muck isen't bothering anything then you might want to consider leaving it. Its hard to say really with out back ground knowlege on the tank. I remember in my 75 gallon I had set up awhile back I used the south down sand and I had to rince the CR@* outta that stuff before I put it in my tank. Just a thought I guess...

~usafresq

Archived