Pod Your Reef

Thin film layer on top of water

JJshiv

After I got my CPR Aquafuge, I noticed a thin layer of film on top of the water. I figured it was just from the new addition and that it would go away after a water change. This didnt happen though and after 5 days its still there. It appears that the layer on top of the water is reducing the amount of light getting through to my corals. What should I do? What is it from? Any info on esperiences similar would be great.

Sounds like a thin layer of oil that never gets skimmed. Had a problem like this on my 210 and if you increase the current on top of the water it should go away.

JJ

The film is probably made of dissoved organic materials. These materials are attracted to air-surface interfaces for reasons I won't discuss here (probably not really relevant). Surface film is not good (may not be awful either). It inhibits gas/air exchange at the surface, looks like ######, and may block some light. There are several ways to get rid of it:

1-Skimmer-a skimmer will remove the DOS that make up the surface film. I used to have this problem and my prizm cleared it up almost immediately.

2-Surface skimmer-self explanatory.

3-Use a PH to constantly blast the surface (I don't think this is very effective).

4-Remove it periodically (I don't like this solution either).

I say either get a skimmer, or seeing how you already have an aquafuge figure out some way to incorporate a surface skimmer into the setup.

I think I found a solution. Let it get really thick and slimy and then light it up with a flame to burn it off. Maybe float a few toy boats around in there and pretend it's a disaster movie. And yes I did a search before I dropped this great suggestion on you!!!!

Seriously I have this problem sometimes and was doing the same thing using a cup or paper to remove it. I only run my skimmer (urchin) 3 days a week or if I've been feeding heavy . I also get my powerheads to churn the surface pretty good to try and get it back into the water where it can get skimmed out with mixed results. FWIW After cutting up leathers and placing frags back in tank I do see a lot more slime like was said before.

there is another Dave?

This can't be good......

lest techno posted this in the WRONG slime thread LOL....

EDIT: for below reply In good humor... TOM GREEN SAYS..... DAIEDE

tomgreenani5.gif DAIDIE DAIDIE DOOOOOO'T

I actually have a skimmer, but I have a preskimmer that might be defeating the purpose by not letting the film get into the skimmer. I will mess with it to see what happens and also aim a powerhead at the surface.

I took away the small sponge from the preskimmer on my CPR bakpak 2R and aimed a PH up towards the surface. Within 30 min the film was gone and everything is looking good as ever. The sponge must have been keeping the oily film from passing down to the powerhead blowing into the skimmer. Thanks for the tips. I will be posting some pics soon so keep an eye out, my tank is lookin really good right now.

Damn film is back and wont go away this time. I noticed something new though, there isnt much current in the aquafuge. It looks like the slime is really building up in there so I just put a powerhead in to try and break that stuff up and if it works I will leave it in there. THIS STUFF SUCKS.

Archived