Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help on a filter.

snowman5373

I am trying to decide on the two filters below. Wich one should I buy? I have a 55 gal with 4 fish, 12 corals, critters, stars, 260 watts compacts and a Magnum 350 filter. I keep hearing negative things about the bio balls, but I see them being used in every salt store I go to. The bio wheel is supposed to have the same effect with no cleaning or cloging and I am leaning twords this one. If neither are recomended can someone give me a link to one they suggest? I am looking to spend around $250.

Thanks

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=3589

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=3656

i almost got the tidepool when it came out. good thing they were out of stock then. :happy: i went diy instead and saved $$$ imo.

try one of CPR's overflows and a simple AGA tank. (about $110) you get more options and can custom tailor it yourself and save $$$.

the bioballs are a controversial topic. if you have a lot of fish load then i'd say use the bioballs or biowheel. if not then dry rock (lava/tufa) submersed in the sump is fine imo. get a good return pump (i like mag, about $35) and you're set.

regardless of system keep an eye on the overflow siphon. if it's just to add a wet/dry then i'd just get a penguin or emperor (again save $$$). thatpetplace.com are very well priced in dry goods ime, as is petwarehouse.com (docs). hth

Just add a few more powerheads and use the live rock that is in the tank. It is a biofilter designed for a reason ;)

Snowman where abouts in NY are ya at?

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Just add a few more powerheads and use the live rock that is in the tank. It is a biofilter designed for a reason ;)

Snowman where abouts in NY are ya at?

Rochester ( up north near Buffalo )

hey, i used to live in rochester from when i was 5 untill i was 7 then i moved down to NC. i would make a custom refugium with a 20 or 20 gallon tank. like tinyreef said it would give you more options and probably be cheaper.

Archived