Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank cycle

Yup

A week ago I started my 7 gallon bow. I added 5 lbs of LS (from established tank) on top of about 10lbs of a fine sand. Also 8 lbs of cured LR. the second day my ammonia reached .50 ppm and has stayed there ever since, with no sign of trites, or trates. salt 1.022 ppm, PH 8.2. Is it normal to have the ammonia stay this consistant with no sign of trites for a week while cycling?

Yes, the ammonia will spike and as soon as it starts to drop you'll see a rise in trites. As soon as the trates start dropping you'll see and increase in trates. They don't all occur at once......your cycle seems to be pretty timid. Your fine so far. Sometimes where the rock is really, really uncured you may see huge ammonia and trite levels immediately but they usually occur as phases.

Cameron

Yeah, the ammonia came up within two days,but it seemed strange that it leveled off with no trites. I expected some trites to be showing as the ammonia spiked. I'm trying to be patient. It's hard :) With everything being cured, I was just wondering if the cycle was happening quicker than I thought.

Archived