Coral Vue Hydros

Coral Out of Water

brent-konieczny

brent-konieczny

Is it okay to have gsp out of water for about 2.5 hours? I know that various zoos are okay out of water during low tide some places. Also, I am less sure about xenia being out, but would would the consensus be? I want to know this because I want corals over my back wall, but the tank is constantly transported half full.

Xenia produce loads of slime when they're out of water, and might even peel off the back wall under their own weight. GSP is just about indestructable, I think it would probably be a much safer bet.

I do have to ask, how come the tank is transported half full? Seems like a very dangerous thing to do IMHO, whether it's glass or acrylic a tank just isn't designed to handle that kind of stress and one of these days it might break during a move.

brent-konieczny

The tank is transported on a platform to distibute weight. Also there is only 2.5gal in it half full (20lbs of water).

brent-konieczny

College. About a trip back and forth every 2months. So far has been on about 6 trips this year, each 2.5hours. It will be on 3 more 2.5hr trips till school ends and then an 11hr trip to minnesota for the summer. Whenever I transport I put in a powerhead and keep a heater running. All the live rock is arranged so it won't fall everywhere during the trips. Has been 100% successful each trip. I used to have 3fish, 2conch, crab, ect.. and they were also always fine. Now I only have 1fish, conch, snails, hermits, ect. As far as they know it's just a shallow wavy tide pool. BTW my 1gal jar is transported same way with the pump running (it works great)

Sparkling_Surfer

Yep, I always feel like a gypsy. I'm getting ready to tear down my tank to move it back home in a couple of weeks...I always get a little nervious, even though I've had no losses. Maybe you could get the xenia or gsp to grow on a piece of glass...that way you could attach it to the back of your tank and have the capability to dismount it and put it in water when you move.

College. About a trip back and forth every 2months. So far has been on about 6 trips this year, each 2.5hours. It will be on 3 more 2.5hr trips till school ends and then an 11hr trip to minnesota for the summer. Whenever I transport I put in a powerhead and keep a heater running. All the live rock is arranged so it won't fall everywhere during the trips.

This here, is dedication at its finest

Archived