Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Risky adjustments in 40 gal tank.....

JJshiv

Today I got a toadstool mushroom coral cuz it was such a good deal and it was huge and i just couldnt resist. When I got home I had to make some changes in the tank to fit it in a good spot. The corals all let out their mucus and there was a slight rock slide that required more changes than i had planned. I dont think anything too bad happened but a lot of debris was stirred up. What do you guys think I should do, water change as soon as possible or just let things settle down for a couple days? All the corals on the side where I made the most changes are pretty much closed:bad sign, normal, or too soon to tell? I havent made any big changes like this before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

give the corals a couple of days or so to settle in and get used to each other. even corals need to adjust to neighbors.

you may want to run some carbon (and/or extra skimming) to help remove the extra slime (a defensive reaction). if you don't have equipment for either then i would suggest a number of small wc's (1%~2%) so as to not shock the system anymore than hurricane JJ just did. :P

one thing to always consider is the livestock placement and water flow dynamics in your system. for instance, you wouldn't want to live the rest of your life downwind from a smoker. hth

Haha, thats what I said, Hurricane JJ just came through. Thanks for the response, its reassuring that someone thinks the same thing I did and I didnt ruin my tank.

Archived