Top Shelf Aquatics

Peppermint Shrimp diet???

SubZero

Hi Everyone,

Just a question regarding Peppermint Shrimp. I have 3 LARGE aptasia anenome's in my tank last week that were starting to move a little, leaving behind some really small ones. So, to nip it in the bud so to speak, I purchased one tiny peppermint shrimp. Within 48 hours ther was no trace of any aptasia in my tank. I thought to mysef: Whew, problem taken care of. Now mind you, I didn't expect the little shrimp to eat the three aptasia that were bigger than he in two days. I have no other critters in my tank that I regularly feed, so I have no "food" on hand for him.

That brings me to today. My tank has been running since late October with 4 blue legged hermits, 4 astrea, one banded trouchus and two nassarius snails as the only critters. My corals all are doing wonderful with signs of growth. I had no losses of any life what so ever. This morning, I find the shell of one of the Nass snails, completely cleaned out.

Did the Peppermint get hungry and eat him?

How much to the Peppermint need to eat, and what is good to feed them?

All I feed my tank now is onve a week or so, I give my polyps some small pieces of shrimp. The hermits usually get what ever falls from the polyps. It has worked for me so far.

I am open for suggestions, but I need to get him some food quickly I think.

Thanks in advance

Mark

My pepps eat shrimp, squid, carnivore flakes, herbivore flakes, stuff they scavenge off the rock, etc. etc. etc.. If you have shrimp for the tank, I'd imagine you can't go too far wrong with a few pieces soaked in vitamins

Yep, sure did. Peppermints love escargo, they will eat almost any small snail that doesn't have an operculum to protect itself. They even eat small limpets. I would just add a small bit of frozen food at night a few times a week, otherwise, chances are it will bother any small zooanthids you may have...which it may do anyway...just like with aiptasia...they don't tend to eat "adult" zoos just new growth around the edges of the colonies. Small price really to not be over run by Aiptasia.

Archived