ReefCleaners.org

Lighting for an Eclipse System 6

caja

I've got an Eclipse 6 (6 gal) that I've converted to saltwater. It has a custom hood made specifically to go on that tank. The wattage of the bulb that comes with the Eclipse 6 is only 9 watts. That seems really low compared to what everyone else has been suggesting in the forums.

Right now I've got about 2 1/2 inches of live sand and about 12 pouns of live rock in it so water is probably about 4 or 5 gallons. What is the minimum wattage I can get away with to support fish and a clean up crew. I don't want to mess with changing the bulb housing and all that, but if I have to...:*(

thanks!!

I have the same tank. I highly recommend www.ahsupply.com for the lights. I installed (2) 13watt PC. If my calculations are correct that is about 4.3 watts per gal. The total cost including the bulbs and shipping came to about $37. Check out http://www.turetsky.org/nanoreef/index.html for step-by-step instructions on how to install them in the old hood. It took me around an hour to take the old out and install the new.

Are you using the original filter? I'm thinking of drilling a bulkhead and running an external w/d. Can anyone give me any input on that?

Post some pics when you get a chance...

Archived