SaltCritters.com

Will this setup of hallides be sufficient

dearis

Tank 10ft x 3ft(front to back) 2 1/2(top to bottom)

If I have these over the tank (not thought of Actinics yet) 5 x 10000k 250w or 400w MH will it healthily keep SPS, LPS, Soft Corals, Clams and anenomes?

Regards Darren

This formula is based on this passage from Reefkeeper

The 10000-Kelvin bulbs also achieve good growth rates, albeit slower than the 6500-Kelvin bulbs. Their appearance is white with a slight blue tint when used with actinic supplementation. Bulbs of this color have produced excellent growth with soft corals and LPS in my own tanks along with slower paced SPS growth. I would recommend this bulb for a mixed reef environment.
  • 2 weeks later...

250 watts would definetly suffice, but for an sps tank, 30" tall, 400w might be the better route. Though, if you want a mixed tank, don't rule out the 250w. Of course, you would have to use 10k on the 250w, but you could probably use 14k and even higher a kelvin rating for the 400w.

It's really your call, don't forget that the 400w put out ALOT of heat, and they use a tremendouse amount of electricity.

If you want to have anything with high lighting requirements in the bottom half of the tank you want 400w lamps.

I don't think someone with a 560g tank is concerned with the $25 (US) difference in power bill when choosing between 250s and 400s

to solve the heat issue have designed a light box to have fans installed and on a thermostat, takeing the heat to our bathroom for warmth or straight outside in summer....

as for cost we are instaling small wind generators at our new home...

ProFlatlander15

The guy who's current tank is featured as this month's TOTM has a 400W in the middle surrounded by 2 250W on either side. Maybe you could pull something like that off. So you don't nedd 400W everywhere, but if you plan where things go, you should get away with keeping anything.

Edit- the TOTM tank on RC

I feel that a 250W would be plenty. 400W might be overkill.

If your SPS are located towards the top of the tank, they'll do well. Some SPS might bleach under too much light. Sometimes too much light doesn't necessarily be better. Light may be important, but so are water params, flow, husbandry etc.

Hope this helps.

Archived