Coral Vue Hydros

Such thing as too much light?

ReefGimp

Ok, first post here so bear with me.  I currently have a 5 1/2 gallon nano set up with some star polyps, mushrooms, button polyps, a TINY green bar goby, peppermint shrimp (thinking of adding a skunk cleaner, but not sure) and cleaning crew.  I have the opportunity to add a very small piece of galaxea and was trying to decide if I should upgrade my lights.  I am currently using a custom hood with a Mighty Mite fixture 2 x 9 watts, daylight + actinic.  I was looking at the various lighting options and it looks like CSL has two options I can use, the 1 9 watt + 27 watt fixture or the 2 x 32.  I am just wondering if 64 watts will be too much for my small tank.  Any thoughts?  

Oh, and I do know about the sweepers from the galaxea, I have a safe spot in the tank already picked out.

Go for it..I dont think it will be a problem...If it is a problem, It wont be like an instant disaster or something...It will be a slow decline and you will see signs from your corals...if they dont like the light, cut the watts and half and build a Fuge or something with the rest of the lights...In IMO you can never have to much light

I'm running 3x13 on mine. I was using 2x13 but added one more. The  only thing different I see since adding the extra 13 is the green hair algae looks great!

i've seen a 5.5 with the 2 32 watt set up. it contained various sps and a clam and it looked really great.

i've got the 2x32w over mine.  it's fine.  in fact i started with the 27w+9w and found it was insufficient.  actually i was kicking myself that i didn't just go all the way with a small 175w mh or the icecap vho's.  they're both even higher.  

Tinyreef- did you get the hood or the retro kit?  I am trying to decide if the actual hood would fit on the 5 1/2 gallon...

Yes you can have too much light!

I have some shrooms in my 5g, under a 32 watt CSL that are doing quite poorly, not opeing up beacuse my lights are way to intence. I think 2 X 32 is to much lights for a 5.5 unless you goign to only keep SPS and clams.

NanoReefer53

actually 2x32 wouldn't have enough intensity for the more light lovin acros.

Here's a 7g with a 400w MH hanging bout 3 feet above the tank :)

nano109.jpg

nanoreefer: whos tank is that? I am curious to know what the red thing is in the front. It looks like a ricordia musroom to me, but the tentacles seem too long...hmm

NanoReefer53

He goes by the name Maximus. The red thing is actually a small rose anemone. They retail for around $100-150. My friend's rose split 10 time within the past couple years though.

Archived