SaltCritters.com

Temperature problem

chrisl1

A friend has a 125 gallon tank, he is having temperature problems. He stated, I'm currently using a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC

and it heats up my tank to 82 deg. there are 2 JBJ lights on it also, ( they seem to throw alot of heat) he also has 2 sweeping power heads , model 228 's and a red sea berlin venturi skimmer. He said the other night he shut down the power heads and the temp dropped like 3 degrees. and he has no heater running. I don't see how this is possible, I am running the same ph and if my temp dropped a .5 degree that was alot Im steady between 79.7and 80.1 I wonder if the PH's are bad or at least one is, or is this normal for them?

Why not test the powerheads? REmove to a bucket of water and see if anything boils ;-).

In the meantime, aim them at the surface to increase water movement, increase evap, and descrease temp. A fan over the surface will also help, if the situation is dire enough.

WOW, powersweeps do that much! I would think on such a large tank those little ph would not do that much. Also, once the lights are off, your temp always drops, unless it is controlled.

Yep I couldn't believe how much it heats the water. I'm sure it would be ok in a big tank tho. I think everyone should use these ph's to mix salt because so many people forget to heat there salt water before a wc.

I find it very strange, likew I said, we both use the same PH in pretty much the same size tank, mine 120 his 125, i get a 1/2 deg difference with them on......go figure

Archived