ReefCleaners.org

Algae on sand and wall of aquarium

jameshetrick

I have a good bit a algae in the sand and on the walls of my aquarium I clean it every so often but I was told that a turbo snail would take care of the job for me. Is this true? Or what whould you suggest?

BTW: It is a 10g tank

If you've just set up your tank, which Im assuming you have, the algae you speak of are most likely diatoms and will pass in time without intervention. Depending upon the tank parameters (NH4, NO2, etc..) you may want to add a few snails or crabs, but only if the tank has fully cycled. Rather than turbos, might I suggest some astreas, which are smaller and less likely to knock over rockwork, etc.

The tank has been running for about 3 months and just recently I added live rock to hermits and a emerald crab. I would say about 2 weeks after adding the rock and crabs that algae started to appear. The crabs do a very good job of keeping the rock clean but the snad a walls need a good cleaning.

Thanks for the advice.

How much LR did you add? Was it cycled before? You may be re-cycling and just now starting your algae cycle...diatoms, slime, hair, macro ;).

Astreas are still a good idea, regardless. Pick up 3-5.

I only got about 3lbs of LR and I dont know if it was cycled. I'll have to ask my pet shop. That is when I go in to pick up the snails. Thanks again for the help.

Well, what I'm actually trying to figure out is whether you were buying your first bit of rock, or adding to your cycled tank.

If it's your only rock, you're just going through the normal algae cycle, most likely.

harbingerofthefish

...and if you ask your LFS, they'll say it was "cured" rock, probally wether it is or isn't. But either way it's going to start a cycle.

astreas are good, but since you do have a 10 try out a conch. My tank has never been more algae free.

stay away from turbos. They get golf ball big and will bulldoze around, damaging corals. also, if they fall they can't right themselves and, if you don't help them, they will then die.

astreas, conch, cerith, nassarius all better than the turbo.

Get some astreas, margaritas, and cerith or a conch. A good mix will always be good. This way you have a diverse eating team!

(sounded good to me)

Wow I didnt expect all this help. It is my fisrt rock, So your right about the cycle. Good thing I asked about the turbo, seems that I would be unhappy if I got one. Thanks again for all the help. I'll be sure to let you know how things turn out.

Archived