ReefCleaners.org

Will this work.......

freakaccident

Yes, but if you have the fug return before the skimmer it can take good stuff out of the water before getting back to your main tank.

Not a big deal if the fug is just for nutrient export but if you plan on it being a breeding grown for pods and what not for you fish and corals then I would do it a little differently.

Hmmm, well missing ALOT of specifics here, but an answer in the simplest form as in your question... Yes, it's quite doo-able.

Assuming your drawing is at least close to scale... you could combine your 'fuge into your sump and REALLY simplify things.

freakaccident

Im thinking more along the lines of having the large fug for growing out frags and stuff. Where would be the best place for the skimmer in this situation? The tank and sump are both 10gs and the fug will be 10"hx20"dx30l.

freakaccident

MORE I currently have the two 10gs and misc stuff to make it work. I will be using a Rio 1700 water pump if that helps any. I am going to build a CC protein skimmer about 14"s tall.

If your fug is basically going to be a grow out tank then yeah the way you have it is fine. One thing to keep in mind is that if your power goes out you will have water from both tanks drain down to the sump. Also I would use a spray bar or something on the return for the main tank as there might be a little more velocity coming out of that then you want.

Im sure glazer will come up with some more info

freak,

Again, this is a very simple answer and there is several factors concerning the setup that would need to be met....

If you would like to set up your system as your drawing indicates I would run your 10 gallon display and your "around 25 gallon" grow out tank as two seperate systems using a common sump. Follow me? Have your display and grow out tank empty into your sump independently and split your return line on your pump to feed each tank. This will allow you to use a beefier pump and get increased flow rates through both tanks.

I agree with glazer. I have done this before. I had a 60 cube that had a turf and skimmer mounted to all return to a common 40 gallon sump in the bottom. The concern I had was "what if part of the system's drain flow is blocked farther up...like a hunk of crap clogs the turf scrubber's overflow?...then I have major flood possibility considering the turf scrubber has a very low capacity. Running two pumps in your situation (with both grow out and main tank in parallel rather than in series loop) will likely give you more control than one pump. The cool part is that you can run an infinite amount of tanks off of the main sump in this method as long as your sump has enough capacity to contain all water in case of a power-out. I run my african cichlid fry grow-out tanks in this manner. Rows of 9x10R's or 8x20H's run into 40L sumps.

Archived