Cultivated Reef

Finger Leather

Gatita=cat

I purchased a new finger leather last saturday it had been doing great it was expanding and opening up it's polpys, but for the past 2 days it hasn't wanted to expand and has not opened it's polps. I have checked the water and all the levels are where they are supposed to be. I fed it some baby baby brine shrimp and some phytoplex through a small medicine syringe a couple of days ago could this be the reason it looks so liveless?:( I am looking at it now and it also appears to have a glossy clear slime of sort on some of the fingers. Any ideas? I will try to include a picture.

Someone else can chime in but I have not seen any of my leathers take macro sized food (brine). I doubt that was the cause. As for the shiny/slimy stuff most leather corals 'shed' a waxy/filmy coating periodically and try giving it a little more flow or gently blow the film off with a baster or pipette. Leathers seem to close up occasionally and not extend polyps for a few days at a time after being stressed but are usually pretty hardy. I would just give it a little more flow and wait.

I blew the slimy clear stuff off of it and it is as happy as can be. I think I am just a little bit happier than it though becuase I would have felt bad if something was wrong with it. Thanks for the advice.

I got an extra power head for my tank and moved my finger to a spot were it would have some more flow around it. Man that baby opened up and is so big and pretty all the polyps are open and it seems to be growing new little sprounts. Yeah I am so happy.

• 6 months later...

Do leathers always need high/med waterflow? I just got one, and it hasn't opened up yet. It's only been about 4 hours but just wanted to know if I should change his placement.

Thanks!

NOOOOOOoooo. Most all leather preffer medium to low water flow. With the exception of a finger leather. Fingers like medium to slightly blowing. Todstools will not do well under heavy flow at all. As for your leather sliming. they do that quite often . especialy if they are new to your tank. Or if you have another leather in there. Just make sure you change your filter media often when youhouse leathers as the slime they producs is toxic to all other corals. If you leave it inthe system for too long it will decay and fowl your water to a degree.

technoshaman

You cannot generalize like that with corals - many leather species including toadstolls can be found near reef crests and other high flow environments in the wild - like at the top of rock bommies. Go look up some pictures of Sarcophyton elegans (aka yellow toadstool) in the wild and most are in higher current areas. Corals are very adaptable and to make blanket statements like that is just not true either in the aquarium or in the wild.

• 1 month later...

How are you guys attaching your finger leather to your rocks? I received my leather frags mounted on a shell, and then used superglue to glue them to a piece of rock. Is it ok to use superglue on leather?

Superglue works great on leathers! They'll look funky for a while, then start to grow "up" like normal.

Just chiming in on the current issue.......I have two toadies, and they are very tempermental about the flow. Too much and they close up, too little and they close up.......in a medium flow area.....They totally open up! So, I'd say they're (mine specifically) like medium flow. The same seems to hold true for my Kenya and Singularis....

As for the "toxic" sheadding, my leather do it periodically or if I happen to touch them when scraping the glass......my crabs eat like to it!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

my finger leather went through hell. It survived my brutal conditioning period. after that it started to look very healthy. It closes its polyps at night and opens them as soom as the light goes on

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my Sinularia... i moved it from the substrate up higher attaching it to a piece of dead rock.

Went all limp and then sprung to life.... polyps and sweeper tentacles and all.....

Then out of the blue ..... it retracted for a week ... brown algae grew all over it .. then the wax formed. I placed a jet on it. The high current blew away the waxy mucus membrane.... and then it sprung back to life again..

Apparenlty, this is normal for sinularia... most sites recommend medium to high water flow.

I have given 2 of my 4 leathers away. They got to big for my 20 gallon nano,but I still have 2 and they are almost to big I think for my 20. Since I am upgrading to a 55 I am just going to move them over once it is cycled. I like the leathers they are very pretty when they open up which is pretty much everyday. They shed less now than they did before when I first got them and I guess they were just trying to adjust to the new enviornment. Keep alot of flow around them and light and they will be happy well at least mine are.

Juanita

Good to hear juanita!

Do your leathers have several sweeper tentacles?

What do you feed them? I feed mine live brine shrimp at night, when the fish cant see... the leather just whips them up and attaches the shrimp to a branch, slowly absorbing the shrimp til it disappears. Reminds me of the movie "The Blob!"

Archived