SaltCritters.com

HELP! ALIfe Lighting problem

tgrupert

I have an alife. they have a cheap magnetic ballast and a 27 watt 50/50 bulb. for some unexplained reason the light stopped working. I took the lighting apart and took out the starter and messed witgh the connections. Then I put it back in and it worked again for a couple of minutes and then went out. Now nothing sems to help.

Could it be the bulb?

I'm thinking of getting a workhorse 2 to replace the ballast.

what do y'all think?

you know my opinion right? the bulbs can be a lil faulty ime, so that could be all that's wrong (pic up a spare in case) but seriously the workhorse 2 is money and fires right up the first time everytime, and it runs cool enough that i've never used the fan.

tg

I'd get both the Workhorse 2 ballast (either style works but I have the cube style that fits up with the existing screw holes) and a replacement bulb. I had the misfortune to pull one side of the bulb's filament out while retrofitting the hood with the workhorse 2 ballast so the tank had no light for 4 days.

The retrofit is easy and well worth not having to hear that annoying fan or any other fan for that matter once you retrofit it.

I ordered the work horse 2 long style for a tadf over 20 with shipping. they were out of the cube :( wire ties are good enough for me. where can I get 50/50 28 watt bulbs?

No worries on the long style. Check out Twins Guy's post with his Alife. There are pics of his retrofit as well as Rick J G's retrofit using the style of workhorse you bought. I bought my replacement bulb from http://www.aquaticwarehouse.com. You'll have to call them to get the bulb as it isn't listed on their website. It's the 27W Aqualux 50/50 bulb. It runs about $18. Good luck and post some pics of the tank with the new setup. :)

I was looking on their site and couldn't find any bulbs. I'm thinking of retro fitting it with one of the 27 watt quads and a 9 watt actinic so it's easier to find replacments.

yeah-like ox suggested you won't find em on their website, but then IMO you won't find much on their website. call them or else i got a few from bruce at PSL. i thought about doing the csl retro but i promised this was gonna be a simple and sleek tank-for the living room-and i wasn't sure how cleanly i'd be able to install it. let us know what you decide-that csl 27 + 9 would give you some dawn/dusk options but the spectrum may be a lil off what you like because they only make 5000K, 6500K, and actinic 27W quads like that. soon enough they'll realize they're silly and get with the 50/50 program or at least 10K. bleh-yellow!

You beat me to it Twins Guy. I had thought about retrofitting the hood as well with but decided against it to keep the all in one look. I'm sure it could be done but I would definitely look into getting a replacement hood just as a CYA should you butcher the original too much.

Archived