SaltCritters.com

10g Critter Pics

MKramer

After a many-month-long fight with an algae explosion, I almost have the tank back to normal, so I thought I'd throw out a few pics I took over the weekend. Unfortunately, the tank's not algae-free enough for a full-tank shot.

My 5g Rose BTA tank is looking incredible these days, but recording devices are forbidden where I work, so taking pictures is a little difficult. I'll try to get something soon.

First pic:

Hitchhiker Ricordia yuma that has been dividing like crazy.

Baja Snail. There's a partially-closed trumpet coral in the background. At least one head divids every month, now, and I've got 3 about ready to go now. Not back for a $5 Almost-Dead coral.

Anyway, the bajas have been incredible tank cleaners. Only thing better in my book is a turbo, but I can't stand those clumsy oafs.

Romaine the Lettuce Sea Slug. I got him when my green hair algae got out of control, and he quickly devoured it all. There's not much left for him, though, and I fear he won't make it much longer on the food that's left. Anyone in the LA area got green algae that needs eating?

This poor guy has been sucked into my Rio intakes 3 times now, but always recovers. The last time, he went head first and lost one of his stalks, which has just started growing back.

Lefty the crab. Beautiful left-handed crab, but I've since forgotten what variety. Rather large, and eats coraline like crazy, but I keep him for the awe factor.

Yeah, I thought that was one of the better surprises I'd even gotten. When I bought that $5 almost-dead trumpet coral, it had a little bump on the skeleton that I thought was just a sponge. The next day the tentacles started poking out of it, and 3 days later, it was a 3" ricordia.

I tried removing it from the trumpet, and ended up with a couple cuttings, all of which stuck to a nearby rock, and have both split since. But the tiny little bit of flesh I couldn't get off the trumpet has grown into a new disk, too.

Best $5 I ever spent.

Archived