Top Shelf Aquatics

glass cleaning on super-picos

sandiegan

Ok, so here's a question. How do all of the TRUE pico owners (<1g) clean their front glass? I'm figuring trying to use a magnetic cleaner, I'm more likely to move my tank than clean the glass.

i'll second cj's nimble. very good product, perfect for picos.

but for uber-small tanks like brandon does (femto/atto-size, <0.5-gallon), the nimble is a bit biggish imo.

toothbrush (children's size), throwaway chopsticks (with the beveled end), finger, or a finger wrapped with a paper towel will all do nicely as a glass cleaner.

I just use a toothbrush.

I use a toothbrush as well. Full size with a square head. Onto the back side I used super glue gel (the same as for frags) to glue a small square of scotchbrite scouring pad. This seems to work even better than the bristle side. Important to note, I have a glass tank. Scotchbrite is not for acrylic.

rc I forgot about that, I use those more than the scraper. I picked up the grilling skewers because that needle-sharp tip is bendable just a little so it will scrape glass even from a low angle of attack. my junk is piled up against the front wall pretty high, so when I'm scraping coralline or diatoms down low I can't insert any of those other things, but a skewer with a bent tip works just fine, my tanks are acrylic and lightly scratched but I think my credit card did it because I failed to clean it with each pass. Even the act of removing coralline from acrylic (regardless of the scraper design) can scratch, these rascals are calcified on there and if moved over the surface rather than peeled away from it you've got pretty pink sandpaper! For picos, I really really wish someone would come out with a specialty all-glass sealed lid design. I know the azoos are all glass, but all lids for them have to be retrofits and that's a pain. In the meantime, I'm looking into ordering those ultra-heavy glass boxes used in $35 candles...you can get them clean from some web distributors and lid seals so tight I don't care if the SW was filled above the seal-line, it won't ######!

once again, the word

s a l t c r e e p

was edited, just a software glitch I guess?!?! :)

Archived