Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Possible 55g AGA

SuperPuffer

SuperPuffer

Ok, so i'm very closely looking into getting a 55g AGA. First I would like to ask a couple questions...

1. How much should I expect to pay for a 55g AGA w/stand? (A resonable price becuase my lfs is always ripping me off)

2. Required fixtures and plumbing? (I aways see everyone on here with the intricate plumbing and pipe, it's very confusing to me, can I just use a skimmer?)

3. This relates to both q's above, i can get it with an overflow right? (This would obviously affect the pricing...)

4. Would I require a chiller, calc reactor, co2 regs and all that expensive stuff? (I'm just used to the basics of nanos)

5. I don't need a sump right? Since i don't want one, the overflow would do what exactly?

6. For lighting, I was looking at this: http://hellolights.com/484xcoluaqde.html , is there a cheaper way for approx. the same wattage?

7. How about a seaclone protien skimmer for something basic, would that be ok?

8. Any additional major things i should know about making the jump?

Ok, here's desired livestock...

1x Auriga Butterflyfish

1x Yellow Tang

2x Small Gobies (Different ones of coarse, Not sure which yet)

+ Misc. Inverts...

Maybe a Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish instead of the Auriga so I could have a partial reef, what make the Auriga unreef-safe exactly? I would like to have a few corals but if not its ok, my 20g has plenty :happy: ...

Would 55g be too small for a Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish or could i get away with it.

Ok so with those 4 fish, would by bioload be fine? I don't want to over do it but is there anything else I could add?

Thanx you guys, I know these are total newb q's and i feel embaressed to ask them but i want to make sure I know what I'm doing :)

I'll give it a go...

1. My LFS sells AGA tanks for $.99/gallon. Never priced a stand from them.

2. The sump, along with a closed loop, are what give you all the fancy plumbing.

3. Dunno if it comes reef-ready.

4. Require? No. Possibly need? Perhaps. Will benefit from? Most likely. There are plenty of people who have gorgeous tanks without all that stuff - just browse through the rest of this forum.

5. You don't NEED a sump, they're just nice to have (added volume, gets equipment out of the main display, etc.). Without the sump, there's no need for the overflow.

6. You could try and source stuff to retrofit a system together (Classifieds on here and RC.com, etc.).

7. Go with a Coralife Super Skimmer. Better skimmer, good price.

8. Hehe, isn't that enough?!? :)

As far as the Chaetodon auriga: it is considered non-reef safe because it tends to browse a lot - including mobile and sessile inverts. Not sure about the tank size for the Yellow Longnose, but it should be fine... look into the butterflies of the Heniochus spp., or a Foxface (Sulpinus spp.) - most are beautiful and hardy.

Bioload should be fine with a skimmer. Add a sump, and you add the ability for more fish proportionately.

Whew.

SuperPuffer

ok, thanks a lot, yah, sorry, I know it's a little long ;) ...

anyone else know more about pricing or different opinios?

1.) A 55g All-Glass tank is $150.00 and a stand for a 55g is $160-190.

2.) Well if you had a sump it would require you to rig some plumbing, or a closed loop.

3.) You can get AGA tanks with a built in overflow, but if not then you would have to buy a hang on the back overflow box.

4.) I wouldn't say that all that equipment is necessary, but it certainly would benefit your tank. If you are just starting out then I advice against all that equipment as it would just complicate things.

5.) Yes you don't need a sump but again it would provide some great benefits including added water volume, hide all equipment, and can have a fuge section. You would either need an overflow or the tank drilled to drain water from the display tank to the sump, otherwise there is no need for a overflow.

6.) Deciding what lighting system for your tank depends on what you would like to keep in your tank as far as corals go. A simply Fish Only With Live Rock you can use NO fluorescent lighting.

7.) Seaclone protein skimmers are one of the worst skimmers from what I've heard, so you would be better off going with a more powerful and reliable skimmer. AquaC Remora and Coralife Super Skimmers are great HOB skimmers, and ASM, Euro Reef, and MRC are great in-sump skimmers.

8.) Read many books, do tons of research, and take things slow.

As far as stocking goes a 55g is too small for a Yellow Tang imo. Auriga Butterflyfish are considered not reef safe because they may consume polyps and crustaceans. Longnose Butterflyfish need a bit more room than a 55 gallon, such as a 75 gallon.

1.) A 55g All-Glass tank is $150.00 and a stand for a 55g is $160-190.

Wow. Drive out here to Vegas, TropAquarium sells every AGA tank under 80 gallons for $.99/gallon (so, $54.45+tax for a 55 gallon). Worth the gas, I think...

SuperPuffer
Wow. Drive out here to Vegas, TropAquarium sells every AGA tank under 80 gallons for $.99/gallon (so, $54.45+tax for a 55 gallon). Worth the gas, I think...

i think the gas would make up the rest of the cost, lol... anyways, yah, i'm no beginner, i'm just venturing out into the world of nanos... my 20g has been great but i'm tired of it, time for something new :)!

thanks for the advice, yah i know remora is a good one, just a little bit more expensive when everything else already costs sooo much... i'm not sure how im going to be able to afford all of this... :unsure:

btw, liveaquaria says 50g min for a yellow tang and they usually have there min higher than most peoples opinions on here, i think 55 is fine for a yellow, who else agrees?

Yeah I know that is expensive for a 55 gallon tank, but the lfs around here is very expensive. I had a used 55g tank in my garage that I setup for my FOWLR instead of spending $150 for a new one.

Archived