Top Shelf Aquatics

Run Return Pumps Inline / In Series

kinetic

I will have my return traveling about 12 - 14 feet from the sump. I'm using a Panworld 200PS for the sump return, but it will only output a little over 1000gph with headloss. I'm planning on getting a second Panworld, mounting it 3 feet from the first panworld, and running them this way in series. Here is some information on Sequence pumps being run in series:

Multiple-Curves.gif

Series.gif

This layout is good for a a series of pumps. This should be setup with a single intake line feeding one pump. The discharge of the first pump should then be plumbed into the intake on the next pump in series. The last pump's discharge should be routed to the system. A discharge valve for the last pump is recommended to allow balancing of pressure as needed.

My tank is an 82 gallon tank, which will have a sequence reeflo dart powering a closed loop system, with the Panworld adding return from the sump which is in the basement. The basement is about 7 feet high, the stand is 3 feet high, and the return inlets are about 1.5 more feet more. I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on how to set this up differently with inline pumps.

Sump -> Panworld 200PS -> 3 feet -> Panworld 200PS -> floor -> display tank.

It says I could use a discharge valve if needed... but I don't really know what that is? Maybe a Y or something with a gate valve just in case I have too much flow? I will probably do this just in case with my plumbing, and if it's not needed I"ll just leave the gate valve closed all the time.

Thanks

if i were you id do the y but use two gate valves. one on each portion of the y. that way if you want to run only one you can close one and partially close the second, if you wanted to run both you could open both or throttle one back abit. it just leaves you with more options

SLOreefer makes sense. You're losing a large portion of your energy running the water through the second pump. It has to re-enter and become pumped by a mechanism, not like it just gets magically accellerated. Lots of kenetic friction there. Probably slows down some of the water just to re-accellerate it.

disclaimer: I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for graphing your results though.

I imagine it would be pointless to have a second sump to use as a way station (main sump->pump->second sump->pump->tank) as otherwise you would just have your main sump there.

Archived