Pod Your Reef

Please help save my coral!

skripo

I purchased and housed a nice hammer head coral 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine until 2 days ago when I noticed it completely closed. Today I noticed 1 of the polyps had what seemed like brown fish eggs, except much smaller. They where the size of pin heads. I gave the coral a freshwater dip and was able to shake out some of the dead material. The coral had recently split in 2 but I don't know if they are 2 independent colonies yet

I have a very healty frogpawn and torch coral which are fully opened up. I did have a problem with one of the 5 heads on the torch. There was no brown slime but I was worried becasue it wouldn't open in 3 weeks so I cut it off. Both the Torch and the Frogspawn seem vibrant and fully open. I suspected a sting but the current flows away from it so no torch sweepers could have reached it, I think.

Any advice for its care? It lost about 3 polyps and the skeleton is bright white underneath, will it revover if properly cared for?

All comments appreciated. Thanks!

It sems the dip and removal of necrotic tissue helped, it is now opening. I am inclined to believe it was a sting after more observation.

I might be mistaken but my guy at the LFS told me that the torch, hammer and frogspawn were all in the same family so they would be fine in close proximity.

At my LFS there was a beautiful hammer that got stung pretty bad by a torch. The owner of the store (in business 35 years) was unlucky to the point that he had to cut and superglue the coral to stop the spread of the disease that it got from the sting. Pay close attention and be prepared to cut and glue the diseased area if need.

At my LFS there was a beautiful hammer that got stung pretty bad by a torch. The owner of the store (in business 35 years) was unlucky to the point that he had to cut and superglue the coral to stop the spread of the disease that it got from the sting. Pay close attention and be prepared to cut and glue the diseased area if need.

The torch can't be the culprit, it is down current from it and there is no way it could have sent a stinger. The frogspawn is another matter altogether. It is in a perfect position to do the damage.

What do you mean "cut and glue" ? I gave it a freswater dip in ro/di water and shook out the dead material during the dip. I aspirated any leftovers. It seems ok this morning. Even though it lost about 10% of it's flesh during the incident, you can barely tell when it is open. As of this morning it is about 50% open.

I am still not sure it is a sting. The affected area had tiny evenely spread brown pustules on one polyp, sort of like acne but evenly distributed. When I cleaned it I discovered that the surrounding area had died off and was rotting. It was fairly easy to clean it off.

Archived