Pod Your Reef

Condy Anemone tentacles shriveling

killahbeez2000

killahbeez2000

hey everyone i purchased a condy anemone with a sebae clown and they were doing great at first my lighting was a little weak (3 watts a gallon) and the anemone started to shrivel a little bit then i bought two marine glo 20 watts bulbs and a uri NO 15 watt so i have about 5.5 watts per gallon its in a ten gallon for now untill i get my thirty running do you think he will liven back up or not?

• 2 weeks later...

how long have you had it?

have you been feeding it?

is there any other chemo- toxin producers in the tank?

Where did you get it from?

what color is the anemone?

has your salinity shifted?

what brand salt are you using?

RODI water?

it all adds up into the equasion.

Generaly Condys ar hearty, BUT I have experienced unknown loss of cell expansion and degenerative growth in a tank before. out of 5 Condi 4 declined, one lived and is still thriving 5 years after the fact.

hard to say why.

reply awaited/

It might not be as bad as you think. I kept a couple of Condys in my first marine tank about 12 years ago. I fed them regularly and occasionally the day after a heavy feeding one would 'crap' our some junk and look a little deflated for a few hours but usually perked right back up. For being a high school kid and my first marine tank I did well with them for about 2 years till I went on vacation and of course the person watching my tank xrashed it somehow. I got back to a totally empty tank /cry . Thus it took me about 10 years to get over that and to keeping critters again.

• 4 weeks later...

My "condy" shrinks at night alot lately, but when the lights come on he is back to his regular self. He is 4" across tip to tip. When he shrinks he is about the size of a quarter and his tentacles look like purple string. Sometimes he doesn't shrink at night.

I have had this guy for approx 5 years, he was my first anemone.

Archived