Coral Vue Hydros

Adding RO/DI to B-Ionic

Sebea

I am using aquadosers to drip the B-Ionic two part solution into my 6 gallons system. According to the bottle's instructions, I should dose 1.5 mL of ca. and 1.5 mL of alk. per 24 hours. This would mean that I would have to dose 15 drops each per day, which means 1 drop per 96 minutes. This is not really possible, as the dosers can not drip that slow. I am wondering if I can dilute the buffers with RO/DI so that the drip rate can be raised. If I mix a solution of 3/4 RO/DI and 1/4 buffer, I could dose 1 drop per 24 minutes. This is more realistic, but I am wondering if adding the RO/DI will alter the effect of the buffers. Is this a bad idea?

i don't see why it wouldn't work for the #2 (CaCl) solution but i'm not quite sure if that translates so well with the #1 (-carbonate) solution.

i'm assuming your let-down ratio is correct. i'm just pondering whether or not the buffer portion changes pH-ability when diluted like that.

technically, i don't think the ro/di or distilled should affect it. the pure water should take on the pH properties rather than impact it but there's atmospheric CO2 interaction so it's not as simple as theory (i think).

i don't see how it would "hurt". it might not be as effective as dosing at the correct/recommended amounts but i figure there's a fudge-factor built in.

the 5-gallon buckets of b-ionic are shipped in "concentrated" solutions. i guess to save freight costs based upon weight and osha-requirements on lifting (i.e. more surcharges). so you have to "dilute" those buckets to "full-strength", roughly 2.5-gallons plus 2.5 gallons of ro/di or distilled. so i don't see why you couldn't carry that thinking further to something like you're suggesting.

would that be too much water volume? you'll have to figure that out. would it affect the buffering ability like you and i suspect? maybe. but the cacl concentration should translate well, as it just translates into a lower salinity (calcium salt/cacl). hth

Thanks for the help tiny. I agree, I don't see how it could hurt either way. I think I will give it a shot. Now, to figure out exactly how slow the aqudosers can be. :P

Aaron, it shouldn't be an issue. When you buy the 2 gallon setup, you have to add RO/DI to it anyway because it's concentrated and only half full. Just keep track of how much you are adding so you can keep up recreate it when you run out. :)

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

for a 6g sys u dont need to do any of this, 10% weekly water changes should keep ur levels up. u might want to buff up the batch of water u use to do water changes with over 2 or 3 days till its up to par. 1mL/gal of each till the right level is reached works good, but not in the tank, those solutions cause a drastic change in water qual in a small system because they are very caustic or acidic, and i think its the alk buffer raises salinity. so its best to make a batch of water for like a couple weeks worth of water changes at once. my system has 35g, and it causes swings, so i know a 6 g is going to be very bad.

Archived