Coral Vue Hydros

newbie 1 gal pico

BlueSun

Hello.

After looking into nano-reefs for several months while merely staring at reef-tanks at pet stores longingly, myself and my girlfriend have finally decided to take the plunge.

Although we priced out several different setups, we eventually settled on a 1 gal pico in a used hex tank. Unfortunately, the necessity of 1-2 lbs. LR+LS/gal meant this was all we could afford at the moment. And it's cute looking, anyway.

We are heating it soley with the powerhead and the 50/50 10W powercompact bulb we have for it. I stays roughly at 78 with the light on, 76 with it off. We may add a heater for stability next winter. SG is at 1.020.

It's just had the live rock/sand added a few days ago; we'll check the water for cyling tomorrow. I don't expect it to be done yet, but I hear such small systems can cycle almost immediately with live rock.

Aside from just general setup comments, I have a few questions I would like to find specific answers for. I've had a hard time finding clear, specific guidelines for pico systems, so I would really welcome advice from people with practical experience with them. That's why I posted here, instead on of in the beginners forum.

Anyway, questions, questions. I gots questions.

1. Additives or no additives? I hear mixed things on this. Do I need to add anything for the growth of coraline and/or corals in a pico? In general if someone could point me to site with good info on water requirements, it'd be awesome. I'll admit to not knowing as much about that yet as I should.

2. How do other people pre-mix water for a system this small? I only have this ONE saltwater tank. Keeping a 5-gal bucket running with RO water, a powerhead, salt, additives and a heater seems to... well, deafeat the POINT of having a pico.

3. Is there such a things as TOO MUCH waterflow? I'm worried about my little powerhead overpowering the mushrooms I plan on getting, but also worried about slowing down the nitrate cycle by decreasing the flow.

4. Livestock suggestions. Right now, the plan is:

-2-3 hermits, 1-2 astrea snail

-As many mushrooms and zoanthids as I can cram in there.

-1-2 smallish featherdusters

-A small bubble or leather coral

I'm looking for an inhabitant that can serve as a sort of centerpiece for the tank. Something, hopeful, that might move a bit more than the rest. I was thinking maybe a margarita snail, or a 1" filter feeding crab. For a brief moment a dwarf seahorse sounded good, and then I read about them. Is there a small shrimp or anemone that would be approriate?

Thanks for any help, guys.

1. if you're diligent with your waterchanges, you might not need additives. usually a ca/alk additive is all you really need to keep things up regularly ime. kalkwasser, 2-part additive (e.g. b-ionic), all-in-one calcium additive (e.g. sealab 7), etc.

it all depends upon bio-usage though. if nothing's pulling stuff from the water it's going to stay the same levels. i dose other stuff on occasion but ca/alk is really all that's supercritical imo.

2. just use a party cup (16-oz.) or measuring cup (1-quart). keep a gallon of distilled water and a plastic spoon for measuring and mixing. badabing-badaboom, you're ready.

3. yes, you can have too much flow. it's difficult to get to that point in a traditional tank but in a small nano and especially in a pico, that level of water movement's easy to reach. it depends on your aquascaping and your livestock, so "how much flow?" needs to be answered by you.

4. i'd pass on the featherdusters and the bubble coral. everything else is ok (altho i've sworn off herms for a while now).

1.020 sg is a bit low. i'd recommend at least 1.023 and up to 1.025.

try sexy shrimp. they're fun to watch, most crustys are. good luck!

Fishfreak218

why pass on the feather dusters????

anyway i agree Sexy Shrimp are a good choice... you could get a trio of them.... or a Porcelain crab

why pass on the feather dusters?
feeding and general care of the types sold (vs. the minute hitchhiking types) is usually more hassle/in-depth and makes it that much more difficult for the whole "starting out" process. jmo

Thanks guys, got a lot of useful info.

Yeah, I had read from ONE site that bubble was nano workable, but it seems most people don't think so. Is it too aggressive, or just to big?

I'll look up sexy shrimp, and was already thinking of porcelain crabs. I'm still a little confused on the feather dusters, however... Are you saying they're hard in general to care for in a pico, or that their presence in the tank (and I assume the amount of nitrate buildup from food for them) will cause difficulties in the beginning? From my experience with freshwater filter-feeders, I figured those would go in almost last, once I was confident I had a healthy algae pop. growing. Is that the gist of what you're saying tinyreef, or am I missing the point?

And btw, I really like your self-cleaning pico hood, tiny. If I could find a way to duplicate that, I would.

So are there any non-colonial corals that would be okay in a pico long-term? (other than small leathers, unless I'm wrong there too...)

I really like how my pico is turning out, even with just my hitchikers. And it's been cheaper than I expected. If I can figure this out, I may have another one (or two) real soon...

brent-konieczny

The bubble is a great unneccesary risk. It is one of the most aggressive corals. It needs about 6-8" on either side of it so it's nightime sweeper tentacles don't touch any corals. You would would basically have to have a bubble only tank. I suggest that sexy shrimp for your tank. They are pretty easy to take care of. Also, about the non-colonial corals, I keep two small leathers in mine and they are quite happy. Some other types of coral I suggest are xenia, clove polyps, and green star polyps. Also, I reccomend some type of caulerpa for added filtration (It is easy to trim as it goes and prevents any nitrates/phospates from building up).

i have a thread (3 really) in members aquariums of my 1 gal pico with a sexy shrimp, perc clown and several shrooms and zoos. thumb around for some ideas. i also keep like 6 blue legs and an emerald crab.

Fishfreak218
The bubble is a great unneccesary risk. It is one of the most aggressive corals. It needs about 6-8" on either side of it so it's nightime sweeper tentacles don't touch any corals. You would would basically have to have a bubble only tank. I suggest that sexy shrimp for your tank. They are pretty easy to take care of. Also, about the non-colonial corals, I keep two small leathers in mine and they are quite happy. Some other types of coral I suggest are xenia, clove polyps, and green star polyps. Also, I reccomend some type of caulerpa for added filtration (It is easy to trim as it goes and prevents any nitrates/phospates from building up).

not realy true..maybe for a big one.. but i have my Bubble Coral in my 1.6g hex and there is 2 shrooms each of them are not an inch away form the shrooms

Ricky@3rdshift

One thing I may have missed is you will be constantly toppingoff your water so a ATO would be a good investment. I add probably 10 to 20 oz's a day of RO water to my 1 gallon. Mush more evaperation and the SG swings wildly.

I'm still a little confused on the feather dusters, however... Are you saying they're hard in general to care for in a pico, or that their presence in the tank (and I assume the amount of nitrate buildup from food for them) will cause difficulties in the beginning? From my experience with freshwater filter-feeders, I figured those would go in almost last, once I was confident I had a healthy algae pop. growing. Is that the gist of what you're saying tinyreef, or am I missing the point?
pretty much what i was thinking.

in regards to the pico-size issue, you'd also have a easier time with a larger system that could handle and provide some of the food the duster requires.

they're also more touchy than the other livestock suggested so far imo.

btw thanks for the comments! :happy:

Archived