Pod Your Reef

Coralline Question

salvatore

heh sorry I left that part out didnt I? I dont remember what the exact pump model is (I cant get my head in the cabinet enough to read the gph on it).

The powerheads are two MJ 1200s.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???

A good Thread on a rare occasion ?

nice.

15 X turnover depends on INTERNAL flow, not just the same water flowin into a sump. A whisper HOB filter that is too small and underpowered on a big tank will simply recycle the same water all the time, and not create a lot of ACTUAL tank turns per hour.

A TRUE overflow and a return off a sump that has ample flow AND internal tank circulation IE: strategic placement of powerheads to facilitate movement around and through the live rock reef stack. STAGNANT AREAS are important ot anerobic bacteria, but toomuch lack of waterflow can also cause issues with unwanted detritus settlement and algal growth.

Just a few cents I could throw in... :)

I see a lot of people using pvc pieces to suspend their live rock. I had seen this on a few tanks but when I set-up my new 20, I decided against (mainly because I'm lazy). :P At this time I have a 20H with two drains and into a 10g fuge. I have a mag7 return. Because of overflow reasons, I decided to use the two returns as surface agitators...since my tank is cloudy still, I can see how the water is moving and where it is lacking. I have made my returns make a whirlpool effect by making spin the surface counter clockwise. I noticed that I didn't have the flow at the bottom like I wanted to I added a Hagen 201 ph that I had laying around. It has definately helped. I may add another to the left side and adjust the oulet to blow behind my rocks.

Onto Coraline: I have been dosing kent part A & B for weeks now everyday and I have yet to see any sort of coraline growth. When I moved my tank the other day. I picked up some of the rocks and in the dark places, the rock was covered with coraline. I used that coral vital one time, actually a whole bottle on my 65 and I did not see any improvement. What does everyone think about SeaChem Reef Complete? I do not dose mag, mainly because I didn't know that I should. Reef Complete has mag in it. Is this a product I should pick up and start using. Also, what is everyone dosing. I only dose part A&B and Iodine. Should I be adding more and do you have any suggestions? Also, I feed DT's, a frozen mix, & a (very rarely) brine flake.

I used B-Ionic for a month or so and didnt notice a thing. Ive moved the rocks around for various reasons and didnt see any new growth either.

I'll get the refractometer and add a PH or two and see what happens. Any info on other additives/ideas is helpful.

When I kept my 55 gallon reef a couple of years ago, the coralline growth was WAY out of control. Had to scrape the front glass at least once a week. The sides, back, powerheads and skimmer return were completely covered.

I used B-Ionic and Kalkwasser. Did water changes once every 3 months. The tank was under 2 175 watt 10000K MH and 2 55 watt PC actinics. The two things I was really proud of with that tank was the coralline growth and my green star polyp population.

For my up and coming nano, I think I'm going to try the straight-up B-Ionic route without the Kalk and see how that goes.

Oh and the BEST tool I found to scrape coralline off of a glass tank was an ice scraper like the ones you would use on car windows. Cheap and cover alot of area quickly.

Enjoy ;)

Archived