Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help with fuge and flow?????

JoeyG

I have built a 7.5g tank for my fuge(same as 5.5 just 4" taller). Planning on useing 3/4 bulkhead for return and drain. The question is what would be a suitable flow rate for this size fuge. It will be gravity fed if that helps any. Plan on having good bit of livesand(3") and grow some macro's. Any info on brands of pumps and their flow rates for this fuge would help

:)

Thanks

JoeyG,

Well you don't want that big of a pump because it is going to be in your display tank so I would suggest a Maxi-Jet power head. They come in a lot of sizes and are reliable. No matter what anyone tells you on this thread. DO NOT GO WITH A RIO! Most people will agree with me but some use Rio and don't have problems. They are the lucky ones. Rio can start fires!

Now flow rate:

Something like 200gph would be fine. You don't want it to be too powerful in your fuge or all your critters will be blown out of the fuge and into the display tank, defeating the purpose. You gave youself more water volume by making it taller but it is still not longer so you don't need as much water to pentrate the whole fuge.

Hope that helps!

I got my 20H drilled with 2-3/4" drain lines and it tested water tight. I will be plumbing it tom and testing it Thursday then, it will be up and running by the weekend!

Yippie:woot:

Thats what I wanted to find out!:P I just finished building my fuge tonight. I wish I had a camera I would have liked to took pic's for all the DIY buffs. I'll tell you, cutting 1/4 acrilic is a *****!X) I must have messed up four pieces before I got all the cuts right. Just finished sealing it up with silicone tonight....yea!!!!!

Do you think 3/4 bulkheads for return and drain will work with

such a low flow rate. I hope so I already drilled the holes :P lol

If not I could still drill out the drain bigger.

How deep of a sand bed would you suggest?

Have you heard any thing good about "mineral mud"I was thinking about layering livesand ,mud, livesand,mud,....ect. thought it might give the substrant more diversity. Who knows maybe I just don't know WTF I'm talking abou! Yep thats it!

:D :woot: :D :woot:

Thanks Macnreef!!!

:)

Alright bud. I would suggest a 3-4" sand bed, that will give plenty of room for critters and nitrate removal. 3/4" should be fine but I would recommend a 1". I have 2-3/4" on my display and mag7 return. The 2 returns barely keep up with the pump, pumping about 400gph. So I figure max of about 200gph per 3/4 bulkhead.

I have heard of mineral and miracle mud before. Actually, I talked to a guy the other day that said it worked great for him. Never tried it so I am not sure. Maybe someone will come on this thread that uses it or has used it and help out.

Later

I been trying to save a little money so I can go this weekend to to get my bulkheads and live sand.

X)This MIGHT be a stuuupid question but since I'm here I ask. when I add LS ,LR,and water (to my fuge)do I have let it cycle like I did my in my display tank? I don't think I do but couldn't find a thread on it. Didn't want to send my tank hay wire.

That thread in the general disscussion"just added live rock what next?"

Damn, Dave threw down some funny pics on that thread! where does he get them pics? Who knows!! I laughed out loud reading that thread.:P

LATER!

Yeah me and you both!

Well, you don't have to let your fuge cycle, but it is a good idea to exchange sand in the fuge and display. That way, creatures that already live in your sand can be easily moved and will start to reproduce in the fuge.

Although, rinse your sand well, your tank should become cloudy because of the new sand. Not to worry that should clear up within 24hrs.

Later

Yes you need to let it cycle before you hook it up to the tank. How long that will take depends on the condition of the live rock and sand. Test it to see how the cycle is going. You don't wan to send your main tank into a cycle also by adding crap/die off from the fuge to the tank.

lizbeth, but what if you are just taking lr from your display tank to put in your fuge and some new lr. how could a problem start? I mean he is only going to add like 5 or 10lbs of lr and 5 or 10lbs of sand. That does not seem like it can do that much damage.

Also, it is like one day you notice that your DSB is not deep enough so you add a few pounds to beef it up or you find a niece piece of lr at a lfs and you put it in your tank. It will NOT have to cycle again.

Your tank will already have beneficial bacteria already built-up...Nitrosonomas & Nitrobacter, so adding some lr or ls will only increase the amount of bacteria. Your levels may increase but very little.

Um?.....That's why I said it will depend on the condition of the rock and sand. I would never put a LFS rock straight into my established nano. That's why I have extra tank and buckets. If the rock has enough die off it could cause a cycle in the main tank. Plus it gives me a chance to see if there are any unwanted hitchhiker onboard. Since our nanos are small keeping them stable is job one.

And who will be the winner on "DO YOU NEED TO CYCLE YOUR FUGE"Who will it be macnreef with some really good points or lizbeth saying"cycle your fuge!" Tune in next time to see the winner on "DO YOU NEED TO CYCLE YOUR FUGE".:P

I'll put my money on macnreef but I'll be taking bets for the next day or so! Any bets or wages will be excepted!!

FEEL FREE TO VOTE!!!!:P

Liz says...

Yes you need to let it cycle before you hook it up to the tank. How long that will take depends on the condition of the live rock and sand. Test it to see how the cycle is going. You don't wan to send your main tank into a cycle also by adding crap/die off from the fuge to the tank.

C'mon guys, what is it she said that would cause a debate?

It DEPENDS, as she said, what you put in it.... completely cured rock and/or sand then extremely doubtful any "cycling" at all, BUT it COULD happen that there would be some die-off of some kind. Find some cool pieces the LFS just got in, stinky no less.... would you throw THAT right in your tank? Well, maybe you would but um, then your tank will need to "re"-cycle.

Your tank will already have beneficial bacteria already built-up...Nitrosonomas & Nitrobacter, so adding some lr or ls will only increase the amount of bacteria. Your levels may increase but very little.

Um, regardless of the "levels" of increase... it's still considered a cycle. Yes you have the bacteria already in place in your tank...BUT only as much needed to support the bio-load you have presently.... So if you are putting some of the rock you have NOW into the fuge and THEN adding some NEW rock to it.... I would at least run the 'fuge for a day or two and check levels before hooking it directly into the main system. Who knows what lies inside the new rock, cured or not... what if it's got some critter hiding in it that croaks on the way home?

I think I'll add what I want, get it up and running for a couple of days, check levels to just to make sure! Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks guys for the imput!!

later

BTW Glazer nice new bowfront sweet set up!! :)

Archived