ReefCleaners.org

How do we start a new 5gal. nano reef

mwestbr2

My wife and I were wondering how do we start a new tank.

We are interested in starting a 5gal. tank.

Please help!!!!!

We need to know what type of equipment, the best starter coral,rock, and fish.:)

O.K. to let everyone know, I already have a ten gallon and a 5 gallon fish tank. My ten gallon is a fresh water aquarium which I have had for over a 1 year now. I transfer everything from my 5 gallon to my 10 gallon aquarium. I consider myself very knowledge about fresh water aquarium. I was reading my lastest edition of "Aquarium Fish" where they had a article on Nano-reef tank. My husband myself (especially me) found the hobby very interesting. The magazine highly suggested this website for more information on Nano-Reef. We posted our guestion on this forum because it was for beginners. I am not asking for anyone to come to my house and set the aquarium up, but we are asking for helpful advice.

I am doing my own research on this matter but it is not a crime to ask question.

For those who were very helpful, I sincerely thank you for your advice.

john tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums is a good place to start. tullock describes a basic 10g reef in his book pretty well. (along with other sizes and biotopes) obviously there are updated equipment and thoughts but it's a good starter reference book imo.

welcome to the hobby and good bye to your checkbook! X)

Try that "search" button and look for new tank, cycle, 5g, etc. People get a lot more friendly if they see you have done some research :) .

Basically you need tank, proper lighting, heater, powerhead, live rock, sand. Salt. Good water source (not tap).

A 5g tank is enough for 1 small fish, generally. But you won't need to worry about fish for a month or more.

What kind of fish/coral did you have in mind? It might help to tailor the setup to the animal rather than the other way around. Seen something specific at the pet store you like?

The first thing you want to figure out is what your tank will be (like fish only with live rock (FOWLR), or a reef tank).

When you're ready to buy your tank, wait a while, and keep reading. You'd be surprised with new stuff you learn, even though you don't have any questions. I hate the "read" answer to the "what do I do" questions, because that's the point of you posting, but I agree. The best thing you can do is have your first tank be successful.

Also, a nano reef is not something to break the bank (in perspective of larger reef setups).

I'm just a first year nano-reefer, so I don't know nearly as much as all these other guys, but I started my first nano all wrong, and it was so hard to fix it, I ended up scrapping the tank and starting over.

You definately need good live rock,

Live sand, or GOOD sand (argonite, southdown, etc) Think about buying a little live sand to introduce to your tank

power compact lighting to start (maybe even MH, but not necessary). Think about the lighting needs of your potential livestock.

Correct powerhead flow (read lots about it)

distilled water, or RO/DI, no tap water.

Lots of test good water test kits - PH, alk, salinity (hydrometer), nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, among others...

I won't recommend what filtration methods besides biological filtration, because it's a preference - read about things like filters, skimmers, whatever

Like I said, I'm really new to this, but my advice is plan on spending twice what I mentioned costs, and since it's your first, plan on spending months looking at an empty tank, to let everything stabilize. Then add what you've read is good with your tank setup (also what you want!).

I'm sure someone has something to correct about what I said, and lots to add. AND, since I'm a prime example, get lots of opinions, because many are different.

ignore everyone, walk into your lfs and purchase the complete 5g set-up they have sitting on the counter by the register. Just buy it all. Then, when the lfs sales putz tells you that you need $1000 worth of chemicals and additives, buy them too. Also, get a school of hippo tangs, 5 or more, as they look great crammed into a 5 gallon tank that is loaded with rock and corals. Oh, and make sure you have at least 3 anemones and two heaters (in case one fails). Make sure the heat is turned all the way up to 90 degrees. Fish and corals love hot water. Ignore the smell of death when everything dies and throw everything out.

Actually, better yet, donate the $750 or so that would be needed to purchase all the equipment and livestock and whatnot to a charity and stay away from the hobby. If your too lazy to do research beyond the size of the tank, you will probably suffer major deaths and your money will be wasted. By donating it to charity you will be spending that money in a far better fashion. Perhaps a donation to the nearest aquarium. this way it will feel like you own a fish tank when you get your lifetime family membership to the local aquarium.

Sorry, ####ed off this morning and your post showed no respect for the hobby. I take it all back. Just do some research beyond which tank size fits your desk best. My family are all direct descendants of a clown fish and we get real upset when we see our ancestors and relatives abused by the uninformed aquarist.

Out of curiousity, what on earth did she say that showed a lack of respect for the hobby? If you were mad, don't take it out on people asking questions.

Mwestbr2,

I first want to apologize for someone elses rude comments and lack of understanding. I am in the same situation as you. Attempting the same research and trying to figure out what will work best. Besides that last post, listen to everyone and do alot of research. I started by figuring out what I basicaly wanted in the tank (LR,LS), What filteration if any, and what lights I will need. I have now started to cycle the tank, and while doing this I am researching lighting up-grades. When all is cycled and running I will then start adding creatures. I think its marinedepot that has a site with all the fish,inverts,corals they sell, and it lists their prefrences, diet, size, and who they get along with. I found their site useful so far. This site is also great for information, just don't get frustrated by rude replies.

"The magazine highly suggested this website for more information on Nano-Reef. We posted our guestion on this forum because it was for beginners. I am not asking for anyone to come to my house and set the aquarium up, but we are asking for helpful advice.

I am doing my own research on this matter but it is not a crime to ask question."

If someone else had read this they would probably would have realized you ARE doing research, and with all the info on here that is current, it's most likely better than an out-of-date book.

Keep posting :) people will help.

Christopher Marks

Hi mwestbr2,

The articles at www.nano-reef.com/articles will cover quite a few of your early questions and give you some guidelines to follow.

The best advice I can give you is to first plan out your entire setup - what equipment you'll use, how much LR and LS, what lighting, what heater, and what you plan to keep in the system. Even go so far as to figure out where you'll be getting your water from. With that in mind, we can usually help you tweak and adjust your plans as necessary.

And, please try to ignore the inconciderate jack@sses that will try to get in your way. Most of us are here to help :)

What about a ten gallon tank? you have a little more room for your corals, and PC light would be your best bet in this situation whether you go with a 5 or 10 gal. Take your time, let your tank cycle and add your inhabitants slowly. As far as a checklist goes, the other posts on this thread have pretty much what you need. also consider using a protein skimmer. It really helps with getting rid of wastes in your tank and you'll end up doing less water changes :P

all I will say is that those of you that jumped on me should know that the second half of the original post was added AFTER my out of line, off the wall and obnoxious post. I do apologize for my post but, before attacking me, consider that you are reading an edited post.

All that was there was basically, hi, I want to set up a tank. what corals are best and what equipment do I need. No history, no experience, nada.

Again, I apologize for the attack. It wasn't necessary and it was (generally) out of character.

A time out for Crakeur.

before you guys label crakeur a jack@ss. maybe it would be important to know what the original poster edited out of the post. JMO, gotta have all the facts

thanks pez but I deserve some lumps so I suggest starting a new thread for it, rather than hijacking this one.

since Chris was the one that called me a jack*ss ( I think it was Chris) I will concur that yes, I am one.

(can't argue with the boss)

whoa.

First off, mwestbr2- welcome aboard. Sorry your first post had to spawn this thread. Read a lot and ask questions. This board is a great source of knowlege and humor. Stick around and before you know it, you'll have a thriving box of ocean in your living room.

Now... I was staying out of this one, but I couldn't keep watching it get bumped without saying anything. First off, I agree with you all. Beginner forum=newbie questions. However, mwestbr2's comments about doing her own research and not asking anyone to come to her house were edited-in after Crakeur's post. No big deal, but I don't think anyone seeing this thread for the first time realizes that, and that's why he's getting slammed so hard here. Crak was just trying to convey (with a healthy dose of NY sarchasm) that to be successful in this hobby, you really need to research. Most members here have a deep respect for natural reefs. Encouraging the hobby to grow will indirectly help to protect these reefs, but not if the next wave of reefkeepers aren't willing to take the considerable time to learn not just the how's, but the why's.

Crakeur's a great guy and offers a lot of help to a lot of folks, and has been responsible on several occasions for me laughing soda out my nose. I don't like seeing him get slammed when the original post you're reading was not the one he responded to. Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Chris, I can take it so don't worry about it. Hell, if you can't take it, you shouldn't be allowed to dole it out.

Again, sorry for my post.

Satch, always on my side. what else can I say but this - want some xenia? I need to unload a little and it will do real well in your tank.

Lakerfan, thanks for the edit. Sending you a Spreewell to get you into and thru the playoffs. Please return him in working condition when you are done.

That's the last I will say about that.

I would post another message about the subject, but I think we scared them away.... They'll probably get into collecting matchbooks now. Oh well.

I would also like to apologize to everyone, when I read the original posting from Crakeur it really upset me. I really appreciate everyone input and ideas. I went to a fish store this morning with my husband and check out some snails, coral and fishes. I still confuse about live rocks and there was no one around for me to ask. I truly believe that this particular hobby is going to cost alot of money but I am still interested and the hobby is so beautiful and inspiring.

Thank you everyone again

I agree because the fish store I went to some of the tanks were very cloudy and dark. I know that some tanks (which from my understanding are called backwater or blackwater aquarium). I know that I will go to another store to buy everything. I even ask the store assistant if they knew anything about Nano-Reef and the were clueless.

Yeah, my LFS was selling a brown weed, selling it as a $45 "xenia rock". They knew nothing about the term "nano", they had a 15 inch snowflake eel in a 5 gallon with no rocks. They are currently attempting a display only tank, it's a hex about a foot across the top, and 5 feet deep. They wonder why the corals die at the bottom, with 32 watt normal fluorescent lights on the top (light hood from a 10g long, laid over the top).

That's me *****ing about how bad we have it in Montana.

Since when does asking a question mean you didn't try and search first?

Example: Search for 'ph', 'high ph' or 'proper ph' any of the above searches will return zero results. Now why would anyone search for 'ph' on a nano reef site?

There are some wonderful people with tons of expertese here, though at times some can be rude.

Cami

Archived