Top Shelf Aquatics

bulkhead threading

redline

what is the best type of bulkhead to get? slip, standard or double threaded?

I've got a slip 1" for the overflow, a double threaded for the return and now i don't know if i bought the right types.

I also have to buy a 1/2 inch to connect my mag to the bottom of the sump, (see picture in this thread)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=8148

Help!!! did i buy the right ones, or should they have been slip ones?

Where did your overflow/bulkhead drain end up at, bottom of tank or on the side? If on the side of the tank then your slip fitting is okay... wouldn't recommend it mounted on the bottom of the tank though UNLESS your hose fitting or drain pipe is cemented into it. Much better to have your drain line threaded on.

Likewise anything that has pressure to, i.e., return line is highly recommened to have a threaded fitting as well. Hopefully this isn't confusing you more.

Soooo, I think your double-threaded bulkhead is fine for your return and I would use the same on your sump as well.

Thanks glazer ! :)

the drain will be on the side in the back corner. i get my stand delivered this weekend so i'll figure out the plumbing then..

Then I get to wait for at least a week after that to get the locline delivered.

i'm in the home stretch !

Well may "Brown" come through for you!...hehe

Very cool it's all coming together for you.... look forward to seeing the pics when it's up and running. ;)

LOL, oh nice cmore... so that is what XP is all about? Bleh, win-ders 98 for me all the way!...hehe

Never seen "worthy" bulkheads at HD cmore... I mean they have the parts for somewhat ghetto but yet functional bulkhead arrangements... well maybe ghetto was too harsh. If you are trying to avoid LFS's (bulkheads mui spendy there) or online shopping best I could tell you would be to check out a big time plumbing supplier... I checked with a place here in Chicago before ordering online and they did indeed know what it was I was talkin about and why I wanted them but they didn't stock them and had to order them.... way cheaper than the LFS but since they had to order them, said heck with it and did it myself. DrsFosterSmith has them and decent prices.

Red,

Yah, it snaps together.... hmmm, not sure if I can answer whether or not you need the tool. I only say that as in you need what would be the word, um, "decent" hand strength. Can you open the pickle jar or sketti sauce jar without resorting to hammers/beating jar on counter/cracking jar by tapping with butter knife,yadda yadda...lol If yes, then no you don't need the tool.....did that answer the question? I can pull them apart and snap them together but the wife can't...there, how's that?

Archived