SaltCritters.com

protein skimmer

Nano-Nut

I was just wondering why protein skimmers are not used that much in nano reef tanks? I use a Skilter 250 in my 10gal and it seems to do a good job making water current and a little skimming. There isn't much skimming to do since my tank is only 4 weeks old with nothing in it except LR and some coral that came in on the LR.

In small tanks, you can afford to do enough water changes to remove dissolved organic waste from the water. Which is what skimmers do. If you tried to change enough water in a large tank, you'd spend a small fortune on salt.

Skimmers take up space, skim out good stuff as well as bad stuff, and are one more peice of equipment to buy maintain.

I consider them insurance against a missed water change, a bit like carbon in freshwater.

At least, that's my theory ;)

If you want a cheap protein skimmer try Lee's protein skimmer. it works really well on small tank. If you do a search you'll see some good post about these skimmers and the pico(spelling?) skimmer too.

no Lee's are everywhere most pet store supply them. I wouldn't use the lee's unless you have a sump. the lees needs to be inside the tank.

Do weekly 10% water changes and you'll be fine.

Or get a Hang on back. The bak pak is the best. The prizm is cheap but they are loud and the impellar break easily.

Archived