Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Automatic Water Top-Off

Reefstalker

marc nichols

I have had a top off system on my 12 gal for over a year. Works great. Keeps constant salinity, particularly during the summer when my temp regulated hood fan goes to town and 5 gals of top off only lasts 10-14 days.

Float is a modified Ultralife float switch from Marine Depot. I sectioned the float tube making it very short to fit under my hood and is permanently mounted. It controls an Aqulifter pump which transports RO water from 5 gal container to the top of my tank. So far, fool proof.

Topping of this size a tank after several days changes the water parameters entirely too much. I don't worry about being gone for 2-3 days now.

Marc

I use a variety of ATO systems which IMO are not really required on pico tanks providing you are willing to do the daily top off thing. However on SPS nano's and any tank where salinity spikes are undesireable ATO's are great.

I use a DIY ATO on my 2.5g using the airpump mod that was posted up here a while back.

On my 12g I use a dual float switch setup for safety - using a DIY floatswitch plus an Ultralife floatswitch.

On my larger tanks I use the Tunze Osmolator 3155 which is one of the best ATO's you can buy - uses an optical sensor like the one posted above.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

• 3 weeks later...
Reefstalker

Since my original post on this topic, I have found a place that sells an already wired float switch for $26.35 (includes shipping and snail guard). Check it out:

http://californiareefs.com/forsale.htm

All you need is a pump/powerhead and vinyl tubing and you're good to go. I've had this product set up for 3 weeks now, and it works like a charm. It detects ~1/4" change in the water level of my 10 gal Nano, and keeps it full. And the snail guard he devised is ingenious.

At $26, this is a much better product than Ultralife's $65 ATO or JBJ's $99 ATO.

It depends on how complex you want to get. I did a DIY system with a relay-based controller and if I was to do it all over again I would definitely get a kit from http://www.autotopoff.com.. much less of a headache than building your own and by the time you add up the cost of parts and your time the $50 is well worth it to me.

Ryan

Rgr that on the autotopoff.com

Neander...I got to thinking about how much water I loss daily...think I will go with a 2 sensor auto..

Izzue

geekreef_05

Ive been using the Tunze Osmolator. Its connected to a 5 gallon resorvior below my 15 gallon nano. It works with a laser sensor to measure the water level (and a float switch backup, that to date has never been used); it adds water just a little at a time. My resorvior lasts about a week.

Its a great system. Im buying another one for my new 35 gallon project. I wager the success of my 15 gallon has a great deal to do with this system, and Id recommend it to anyone.

happy reefin'

• 9 months later...

for some one thats not good with understanding DIY

what would be a good cheaper ATO system ?

I have a 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump

It seems like I always have to top off water

How does this system work it looks real simple lol

You stick that tube thing in your sump and when the water level get low it turns on your pump that puts fresh water into your tank and turn off when the level is reach.

It works off pressure. You can blow into that tube and hear a click from that box that your pump plugs into. I use a Zoo Aqua lifter to pump water back into my tank.

You stick that tube thing in your sump and when the water level get low it turns on your pump that puts fresh water into your tank and turn off when the level is reach.

It works off pressure. You can blow into that tube and hear a click from that box that your pump plugs into. I use a Zoo Aqua lifter to pump water back into my tank.

thanks I am going to get one now lol

• 2 weeks later...

this one is pricey but uses an aqua medic peristaltic pump and looks like nice quality

lg_25824_FS34851P.jpg

I think I'm just gonna go with a digital timer and pump a little bit of water in every day.

Don't you think an inch of water level drop is too much for a pico? I used to have one of these and I sold it because of that.

so far I got my TSUNAMI and its works well...I got an aquapod 12 gallon and got it in my 4th chamber. No hood, got a 70 MH

Don't you think an inch of water level drop is too much for a pico? I used to have one of these and I sold it because of that.

Took it off my tank a week ago. 1" is a lot. I didn't know it was untill I was at home one day when the pump was putting water back into my tank any everything in the tank didn't look good at all. So now all I do is drip water back in any try to get it to keep the water level at the same spot. But the TSUNAMI do work very well.

• 2 weeks later...

i was looking at the ultralife float switch and was wondering what made it so expensive? I would think that the simpler the better right? I like the idea of a float switch or switches in series with the pump, looks to be idiot proof for the most part. The only reason i was thinking the ultralifes are $$ is because they can run more powerful pumps but for most of us running the aqualifter style pumps there really isn't a need, right?

Derby Reefer

I am setting up an ATO system. I have a couple PH laying around but wanted to ask if it was better to us a PH or the Aqua Lifter that I keep hearing about?

SeeDemTails

I like the looks of the californiareefs.com system. Simple and cheap!

The Tsunami looks cool too, but 1" is a lot. This will be in a 23 gal system....and in the sump, so 1" may not be that much though. It does look a little simpler. How much of the sensor has to be under water of should I say above water?...I will have like 2 inches of clearance in my sump.

Archived