Cultivated Reef

One Gallon Vacation

johnmauser

I got my Aquatic Gardens mini-life aquarium today. I've added some live sand and a rock. In the pics below, it's sitting on my kitchen counter, but will be heading to work with me tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be a little escape from the everyday stresses. Once I know it's somewhat stable, I'll add some ricordea florida and some zoanthid polyps.

John

ps...don't worry no tangs will be harmed in the making of this pico B)post-18851-1142911634_thumb.jpgpost-18851-1142911650_thumb.jpgpost-18851-1142911664_thumb.jpg

lol can you give me a quick stupid favor?

how much does 1 gallon of water weigh? need to know if my glass L work desk can support 5g of water

snowlancer2720

Luckily I work for an aquarium so I can get by with this kind of nonsense.

Semi_xAsian

A gallon of saltwater weighs about 8.5 lbs. So a 5g tank would hold about 42lbs of salt water. Then it would just depend on how dense the rock and sand was compared to water. I still think the whole setup wouldn't be more than 50-55lbs.

snowlancer2720

Luckily I work for an aquarium so I can get by with this kind of nonsense.

Semi_xAsian

A gallon of saltwater weighs about 8.5 lbs. So a 5g tank would hold about 42lbs of salt water. Then it would just depend on how dense the rock and sand was compared to water. I still think the whole setup wouldn't be more than 50-55lbs.

it says my desk can support about 100 lbs, does that mean 100lbs evenly spread or 100lbs in a 10" x 10" space?

no clue...

it says my desk can support about 100 lbs, does that mean 100lbs evenly spread or 100lbs in a 10" x 10" space?
nice tank, i was thinking about getting one for work too, but the boss laughed at me and said no...bastages!

Sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :)

That's why I'm thinking about asking if I can have a "fish bowl" here, then proceed to set up a nice little 5.5 aga reef. :D

Sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :)

That's why I'm thinking about asking if I can have a "fish bowl" here, then proceed to set up a nice little 5.5 aga reef. :D

YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!

I got my Aquatic Gardens mini-life aquarium today. I've added some live sand and a rock. In the pics below, it's sitting on my kitchen counter, but will be heading to work with me tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be a little escape from the everyday stresses. Once I know it's somewhat stable, I'll add some ricordea florida and some zoanthid polyps.

John

ps...don't worry no tangs will be harmed in the making of this pico B)post-18851-1142911634_thumb.jpgpost-18851-1142911650_thumb.jpgpost-18851-1142911664_thumb.jpg

i jsut got the same tank, however whilst painting the back black i got paint on the other sides and on the inside. then i went to wipe it off and it didnt come off with soap and water to i took a brillo pad..... i need a new tank now. but i kept the light and threw it on my other pico and switched the bulb for a 13 watt 50/50. gotta get a new tank today.

darkstar339

from tampa and a zoo york picture....how often do you skate the SPOT?

that tank will be killer for a powder blue tang!!!

from tampa and a zoo york picture....how often do you skate the SPOT?

that tank will be killer for a powder blue tang!!!

never ever ever ever ever. i shoot across the bay to www.688skatepark.com its closer to my house and i just like it there more

Iveman-

When you get your tank running, let me know if you get microbubbles forming in the filter. Mine is terrible about it. I tried siliconing everything on the filter intake that comes in contact with the air, but I still get bubbles. I'm thinking of ordering a tiny powerhead and yanking the hang on filter.

darkstar339-

Sorry no powder blue tangs, this is a caribbean pico! I do have a scool of atlantic blue tangs on order though...

CapHillReef

I'm thinking of doing the same. My work allows fish...the only pets it allows. The policy is unclear about coral. Most people think it's just rocks anyway.

So...how are you going to move it to work? Let us know how it goes.

I'm thinking of doing the same. My work allows fish...the only pets it allows. The policy is unclear about coral. Most people think it's just rocks anyway.

So...how are you going to move it to work? Let us know how it goes.

It's already at work. I just put it in the passenger seat and told it to hold on. Seriously, I put the rock and water in a small cooler and sat the tank and sand in the passenger seat. Everything has been pretty stable on it for the last two days. I'm going to add a ricordea or two tomorrow and sea how they do. I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow with the corals in.

John

I have the same one in blue, and its driving me nuts. I add about 20 oz of water a day to top off.

You need to cut a cover out of thin plastic. Cut the shape around the HOB filter, light clamps and you are good to go. Mine isnt a tight fit, but close enough. Evap is

minimal. I used a plastic cover to the supermarket salad bar containers (the rectangular ones) for my cover. I cover the tank prior to leaving the office for the day.

Same, blue tank, different light tho that I doubled up. It makes a world of difference IMO. Zoas, GSP, Xenia, shrooms love the 14w total light output. My hairy shroom is taking over the tank, it literally covers nearly 1/2 my LR. It needs to go.

1g Red Sea Combo since 10/2005 and going strong.

Heres a pic of it at work and a pic of one of the new residents...a ricordea florida. The rico seams happy with all three of his mouth's giving a big smile. Wow. this might actually work.

Johnpost-18851-1143234776_thumb.jpgpost-18851-1143234795_thumb.jpg

John

what size is that tank? How would you heat it and are you going to put fish in there?

Phil F...

I moved the sand, liverock and water from a tank that's been set up for 4 years. I don't think there's going to be any cycle. The water parameters were right on so I'm not worried about it.

Gerber77...

It's one gallon, it has a terrarium heat pad under it, and right now I have no plans for a fish, just inverts.

• 1 month later...
johnmauser

I brought this tank home with me for a while, while we are moving our offices over to the new aquarium. I've taken the liberty to re-do the tank. The rock and corals are gone...it now has caleurpa and a slower air driven filter. I have 6 dwarf seahorses in the mail right now and they will be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll start a new thread once they arrive.

John

Archived