SaltCritters.com

Help planning a new and old tank

Dazed1

I have two tank's. Tank 1 - 20 Long setup for about 5 month's now. The only fish in this tank is a Valentini puffer. Now, since I do have the puffer I cannot have any sort of coral's. I plan to move him to a 20H. Yes, i know he will grow, but not for a while. He is about 2" right now.

Now, i have a 20H which contain's 3 African cichild's. I plan to convert that into a SW so that I can move the puffer in it and maybe keep one more fish that is not reef safe.

1) How do I go about converting my cichlid tank into a SW ? I will be doing a water change this week and that's when i plan to convert the tank. That way i can put 20% of my existing water to the tank.

2) I have small pebble's and stones (can't remember the word :S ), as substrate. Should I take it off and add LS or would it be ok for the puffer not to have LS ?

3) I have rock's in the tank. Not LR, but 2 big pieces of moon rock ( i think. they are porus) and few other piece's of rock. (Not sure of the name). Should i remove them and add LR or just leave it ?

4) Does a FO tank require good lighting ? I plan on using the regular NO with a 50/50 tube.

5) I am currently using a "Lee's counter current skimmer" in the 20 L . I want to / plan to either put in an external skimmer or get a fuge, but do not want to spend alot of $$. What would you guy's suggest ? ( don't want to spend more than 50-100$).

I saw an ad in a magazine for an external Hang on from "99 fish and pets inc" for 39.99$ (approx).

6) I will also be leaving the mechanical filter in the tank.

Please let me know if what i have planned is good or no.

Thank's :)

Archived