Cultivated Reef

What to put under tank.

Hawkeye

OK, I've got my stand made, and back of tank painted saphire blue metal flake, looks great. I will try to get picture sent in.

The first question is what is the best thing to put between the tank and stand, and how thick does it need to be? My fw I just use a bath towel.

Second I plan on putting 3" of LS and 25-30# LR. When using the formula of inside measurements of L x W x D x .0641= # of LS it comes up to 53#. I have a 20h. Is the amount of sand going to be way high for my plans.

Thanks to all that answer. By the way this site is the best, to many others givingadvice like to argue elseware. This is the ONLY place I will ever post.

I cut down a piece of dense foam. It used to be my old backpacking matress. I cut it to fit under the lip of the tank so you can't see it when it is full. I used it more to keep the tank insulated, since it was sitting on a nice flat surface. But, I think it does a good job of distributing the weight, too.

I like Hawkeye's idea of using foam for insulation;)

However, I don't think you "have" to put anything between the stand and the glass bottom. Given, that they designed the tanks with 3/8 to 1/2 inch difference between the molding and the bottom glass plate. I've got my SW and 3 "fully" planted terrariums (10ga, 28ga, and 60ga---granted, not as heavy as water, but heavy none the less) and all of them just sit on the stand as is.

Nothing. if youare worried about the bottom being insulated the sand or what ever your substrate will be will do that for you naturaly. If your worried about leakage......Buy a new tank :)

Archived