Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sorta free 13 watt ballasts

richnpoor

For anyone thats intrested I found a way to get usable 13 watt ballast basically for free.

I have several Compact flourescent light bulbs that are in use in general lighting in my house, you know the kind you buy at lowes for about $6.

when one of these bulbs burns out after long use the ballast is still good.

So I take a hacksaw and carefully cut in a circle all the way around the outside of the bulb base i.e.. ballast housing.

snip the two wires that connect to the bulb socket and the two wires that connect to the bulb itself.

Radio shack sells crimp on connectors that attach to the pins on a PC bulb perfectly and the other end is just wired into a stadard plug cord from some old lamp or whatever you have lying around.

the only drawback is that so far I have only encountered tar ballasts which do get hot but since you are wiring the ballast to the lamp yourself you can make a long cord and enclose the ballast in a box away from the tank

rich

toocool! any pics? id be interested in this. and also what about hte bulbs that say they use like 65 watts, does that mean the ballast will be 65 swatts too? this of course i mean for all the ones, the 13 watts the 20 watts teh 30 watts etc. etc. tthanks for teh info

nishant

freakaccident

Go to Home Depot and get the book worm lights. CHEEP! 13w smart bulbs work great in them. Just zip tie them to the inside of your hood. Oh and the AC Delco flourescent garage work lights are 13w too. I would guess any of the flourescent shop lights are 13w.

• 1 month later...

Wal Mart has a small PC desk lamp that is a 13 watter and has the GX23 base that is the same as the bulbs sold at www.hellolights.com. It is real easy to take apart if you want to do a custom installation and even has a small reflector. The price is $9.97 at my local WalMart.

MrConclusion

NISHANT - When they say "65 watt" on a cheap screw-in compact fluorescent bulb, they're talking "watt equivalent" or in other words, "this little fluorescent bulb puts out as much light as a regular 65 watt incandescent bulb." The bulb and ballast is not 65 watts fluorescent! Look at the actual power consumption (usually in smaller print) to see the actual fluorescent wattage.

Nishant3789

thats not what im talking about. they have 65 watt bulbs that CONSUME 65 WATTs they have an output of something over 100 watts which i understnad is the equivilent of an incandecent light. so i wouldnt take the 100 watts, d take the 65 watts. i can pull up a picture of u like

nishant

• 2 weeks later...

I know the 13W are supposed to be equiv to a 50 watt bulb..so the 65 are something like 250 w equiv....this is a great idea though...I'll have to play around with it...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived