Cultivated Reef

DT's Phyto - Easy Questions

duckhuntboy

I've never dosed any phyto in my tank before. I am getting some on Wednesday. I was wondering how you keep the stuff? I was told to freeze it, and when I want to use it, it should still be gooey even in the freezer. Is this correct???

-------------------------

Also, I have a 7 gallon nano, with nothing in it so far. I wanted some of the life on my live rock to grow a bit, and I wanted some phyto in my tank for when I soon get my first softie. I am looking for a rather low dosage. I have heard people dosing only once a week, to people dosing once a day... What would a good dosing be for my tank?? (I am pretty much sticking to soft corals for quite a while).

I keep mine in the fridge, didn't know if you had freeze it. I take some out with a pipette and mix it with some tank water in a cup then turn off the powerheads and squirt it near or across the corals. I believe they reccomend you use it within 2 months or so?

I was told that it will die if it's not frozen, and the lifespan of DT's is 6 months.... This is what the people at marinedepot.com told me. Who do I believe???

printerdown01

Freezing will cause the cellular walls to burst. So don't do it... There is however a few products out there for phyto that can be frozen! These come in a gel solution, and of course are not really "alive" when you add it to the tank. -not sure it makes that big of difference...

I just wanted to inform you about some customer service I had from marine depot. I ordered some DT's, and they next- day aired it to my parent's house on accident. I called them and told them the story, and they wouldn't pay my folks for the shipping costs from the salifert test kits I had sent with the DT's. They did, however, send me some more DT's.... This time, it was second day aired. It's day three, and there's no DT's still. Just a heads up...

PS - They use airborne express, which is part of the problem. Like, if you get something overnight, you don't get it until around 5 P.M. the next day.

Archived