Pod Your Reef

SeaChem

SeaFish

has anyone heard anything about seachem's liquid calcium? is it a good source of calcium? please provide any kind of info aobut this liquid calcium if possible. thanks

I use it to maintain calcium in one of my tanks and I have never had any problems. The tank I use it in doesn't have a whole lot that is calcium dependent though. My coralline algae grows very quickly and my cleaner shrimp appreciates stable levels I guess. Oh, I also have a small crop of Halimeda (calcium dependent macro algae) in that tank that grows very well but I am guessing that stuff could grow in a toilet.

it is a glutinate calcium ie: simple sugar based. I have had good results with using it as a SUPPLEMENTAL Ca aid along with kalkwasser and/or B-Ionic. Use it sparingly. It can increase bio waste and skimmate in your protien skimmer.

FWIW, my softies seem to like it.

i know b ionic is good since i hear a lot about it, but i was wondering what else since i dont see my local fish store carry b ionic calcium source? or actually can water changes and seachem calcium be enough for nano reef tanks already?

harbingerofthefish

If I'm not mistaken, it can raise calcium. something like 1ml raises it 3 ppm. I use it along side WC's and have had pretty stabele (450 range) calcium levels. I use like 1/2 ml every other day or so in a 7. My corraline is spreading slowly, and the only LPS I have seems fine.

Kents liquid calcium has twice the calcium (10% vs. 5%) as the seachem. I started using about 4 drops/day to keep calcium around 420-450 in my 10G, but with the addition of more and more LPS and SPS I have had to slowly increase to the point that I add about 10 drops/day now. I have raised my calcium level so high that it snowed on two occasions, not outside, just in the tank as the calcium precipitated out of solution. If this happens it really isn't any big deal...as soon as the CA level drops the "snow" will re-dissolve.

You should be able to increase calcium to an ideal level with Seachem calcium products, not just maintain it as one poster said. That ideal may be 400, 450 or even 550mg/l in some tanks. Every tank is different and depends on what else is dosed and several other factors. A level of 450 is probably a good rule of thumb. Obviously additional carbonates must also be added in some form to balance the carbonates combining with Ca, Mg, and Sr to form reef building corals. Seachem Reefbuilder will assist and ensure that alkalinity is maintained at an adequate level. B-Ionic also works quite well according to many if you prefer a not glutonate based supplement.

hum..i see...i think i am gona give it a try and see how it works on the long run. also, since i change aobut two gallons of water every week on my 20 gallon, would adding seachem's calcium be sufficient? also is 2 gallon water change on a 20 too little or too much. i been told to do 4 and i been told to do 1. what is all you guy's opinion?

lee, it all depends on your Ca consumption ratios. Simply making a statement like that with no background as to what you set up is, can be detrimental to the thread. Please edit your post soe we can see why that works for you. Be sure to include what you have in the tank.

FWIW... IME....

Try adding a Maxima Clam or some SPS and making that statement stick :woot: and hold water.

Archived