Innovative Marine Aquariums

Live sand and rock?

Frank B

I had a question that I couldn't really get answered through research. When adding live sand and live rock to the tank, is it best to put the live rock in first and put the sand around it or does it matter at all? I only ask because I want to avoid getting any dead spots in my sand.

I have one more question that I think I have already asked but I cannot rememberwhat the answer was. If I buy a 20# bag of live Aragonite (i.e. Carib-sea or Arag-alive) and 15# of cured live rockfor my 10 gallon tank how long woud I have to let it cycle or would I have to let it cycle at all? I've heard conflicting info about having to re-cure live rock and sand after it has already been moved because of the moving process from LFS or distributer to the home aquarium.

Thanks,

Frank

It really doesn't matter. Some people put the rock on the bare bottom for stability, then add sand. I've always put the sand in first, then the rock on top. Whatever turns your wheels.

For curing time, you can't really say. Anytime LR leaves the water (collection to distributer, LFS to your house, etc) there is going to be die off, and it has to be cycled. How long depends on the nature of the rock and how long it's been out of water. This could take weeks or it could take hours. You have to test the water. When ammonia and nitrites are no longer detectable, the cycle's done. Hope that helps

Putting the live rock above the sand bed will bring your future corals closer to light and IMO "structurally safer" since the weight of the rock will be distributed evenly in your sandbed.

I say it doesn't matter either way as long as the base structure is secure. I usually try to place my rock in so the rock is secure on the base of the tank than add my sand. I have done it both ways and it's worked all the time so it's really up to you.

Cameron

I would go with the sand first, unless you are setting the stone on that egg crate stuff (grate for ceiling flourecent light fixtures). Reason being on how the bottom peices are touching the glass. If a SMALL area of the bottom piece is in direct contact with the glass and the rest being proped up (like an upsidedown pyramid)and a tank avalance occurs you could break the glass. Similar to when I was a bad youth, if I wanted to break a car window, I would use my automatic center punch for silent entry. It is used for wood working and more or less works by using a small pointed area pushed against the glass, when a certain amount of pressure is applied, it would "pop" a shockwave to the point causing the glass to shatter. A similar effect could happen in a reef tank if you bang the top of a rock that has a small area touching the glass.

Archived