SaltCritters.com

Via Aqua tank good buy?

vanessa

I was looking at buying a via aqua 18 gallon and was wondering if other more experienced reefers would recommend this tank? It seems to have the lighting needed without having to upgrade or retrofit. Also it is a nice rounded glass tank with undergravel filter and a powerhead. Please any comments about this tank would be appreciated. Vanessa;)

I love my Via Aqua. The 2x36 is enough to keep softies and LPS's, but not SPS's. I did ditch the ug filter and powerhead (it is made to work with only the ug filter). I ended up using 2 rio 90's instead. With the open top, there is a lot of water evap, I am getting ready to put in an auto top-off system, and would suggest doing the same if you do go the Via Aqua route.

Vanessa

I have a ViaAqua 18 which I set it up on Dec 15 2002 with the UG filter and crushed coral as recomended by LFS. Two weeks later after some good advice I started over. I got rid of the UG filter and went to 3" of sand 25# LR BakPak 2 skimmer and one Mini-Jet 606 PH on low flow could have used a 404. I love the setup I have now see pic. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

18 gallons glass ViaAqua 20”L x 13.5”W x 18.5”H

PL compact lighting 2x36 7100k white 12000k blue

CPR Bak-Pak 2

20lbs aragonite dry sand

10lbs Arag-Alive fiji pink sand over top to seed

25lbs Tonga LR

Mini-jet 606 PH

Ebo-Jager 75 watt heater

Fahz

I just spoke with my LFS and they have never heard of Via Aqua brand fish tanks. Why is it so hard to find Via Aqua tanks? I've looked on lycos, google and MSN the only place I've seen is through custom aquatics.

where are u located? maybe if u tell us ur location we can help. i personally went with via aqua680 20 gallon tank. i have 144 watts of light because they lfs gave me an extra lighting system for basically free. from what i heard some customer knock over the tnak and the tank broke apart except for the light. he didnt know who would only want the light. but anyway, give us a location and maybe someone near you will be able to help you. hope this helps.

you can also do a search and find the web page. I know it is comm_____axis.com - where ______ are the missing letters that I can't think of right now.

I came across a site the other day that had several different sizes and frame colors. The only problem is I can't remember which site it was. Right now the best I can tell you is some place online does have them. I'll keep looking and see if I can come across them again.

Fahz

Temecula Reefer

www.commodityaxis.com

this is the website.... I e-mailed them when I was looking for mine and he gave me a few shops in the area that carried via aqua stuff and he also said that any LFS can order from them, so take the number off the website down to your LFS and have them order you one. It will probably be more than online though... my LFS has one of the tanks in stock now after I had him get me one. I also printed out the prices from online and he matched them.. good luck!

Thanks for the website...I'll let my LFS know the #. I was going to convert my 10gal into a nano tank but when I broke it down and cleaned it I noticed the silicone adhesive was really bad on several angles so I don't think it's worth converting my old tank and I will probably end up getting the via aqua. Thanks for the websites. I'll post some pics once I get it up and running. Vanessa:D

Nice looking tank FAHZ!

Altho, I have heard a lot of bad things about Via Aqua. I heard that if the tank breaks or lighting system doesn't work...it is a PITA to get it replaced. I heard that their motto is: leave the customer hanging long enough and they will forget about it. I heard that they tell you that they will call or email you back and you will never hear from them again, unless you call. Then they still won't give you an answer. These tanks are Asian and they are selling tons of them because they are decently priced, so they don't care to #### of a few!

Don't know if this is true. Just a little info from a birdie in the tree.

hum..i am not sure if that is true. personally from my experience. i had problem with one set of my lighting system before and i took it back to lfs and they contact via aqua. it took about a week to get it sent there and back.

yes it does lose about half a gallon in 24 hour. i am not sure..personally i keep it open for o2 exchange. i guess u can try acylic if u want..you might want to check it out with ur local glass maker/

Madness:

My LR is Tonga and alot of it is pillars. I had some pillars that were broken off in shipping so i've just added them on top in the background. Some have turned green and some of the faces are still white. This tank was started on December 15 2002 with crushed coral and UG filter and torn down and restarted January 1 with live sand. The coralline algae has just started to grow on the glass in the last week hopefully it will cover the white soon.

Fahz

That is pretty damn good for a tank that is so young! I really like the Tonga pillars. They are absolutely my favorite LR for aquascaping. They just look great.

But, I was talking about the thing that looks like smooth white plastic in the back-left of your tank. Almost looks like a wiring plenum you would use to attach ethernet wiring to the wall.

madness,

the white object along the left side of the tank is actually part of the tank... I personally don't really know what purpose it serves; maybe it is to hold wiring from heaters, etc.

madness,

It is inside the tank, although I like your line of thinking better, it would probably be more functional as a cord holder on the outside of the tank.

Man, the only hold up on this Via Aqua tank is the water evaporation. Now these tanks come with 18watt PC which is not enough light to do anything for a Nano Reef, my question to you guys is if I get 2 55w lights do I need to get a different ballast for the hood or will the ballast that is in there with the 18watt lights work fine?

Jeremy

Archived