Innovative Marine Aquariums

Candy coral location

netwizz

My candy coral frag has almost doubled. It has grown from 5-6 heads to 10-12. Will it continue to OK on the sand as it gets bigger? I can probably get it on the rock if necessary. Interestingly I have another much slower growing variety that hasn't really done much except grow bigger heads.

How long did it take for the candy cane coral to add the new heads?  I have a large frag with at least 18 heads.

As long as its growing in this way it should be fine wherever it is.  Only when you notice that soemthing isnt growing as it should do you worry about it and change its position.

Hope that helps.

PS, let me know how long it takes for them to grow new heads/double in size etc.

Fast growers = white-ish green-ish ones

slow growers = red and green ones

right?

I have a red and green one that looks like its splitting, but has only grown a bit larger.  I keep it in the sand.  I dont think it matters where the end of the stalk is located.

Korbin, I have the one with the bright green center, and red out flesh.  I think this variety is the better looking.

So I guess I have the slow growing variety.  Any ideas as to how long it will take to double in size?  Or how long it takes for a new head to grow?

Thanks.

There is a pic of mine in my post about my 12 gallon eclipse in the members section.   Scroll way down for the picture.  It has 3 or 4 "mouths", so I know its splitting.

The thing is... when I bought it, it was lying on its side and looking very dead.  I kind of revived it so its puffy again, but it has changed very little over the past 3-4 months.

(Edited by Korbin at 8:20 am on July 2, 2002)

Korbin we have exactly the same type :)

Your one looks pretty healthy to me.

Mine didnt look too happy at the LFS...neither did any of the others they had.  I choose the one I have as it was the best looking.  Now mine is doing pretty well.  I feed it sometimes too.  

I visited that LFS a few days ago and the ones I didnt buy now look pretty bad with several heads dying on most of the frags.  They have MH lights but the hieght is like 1.5m so the corals at the bottom tanks are just not getting enough light I think.

My red/green one is growing like crazy. I've had it for several months. Most of the original heads had 2-3 mouths so they are almost all split or splitting. My light greenish-blue one hasn't done to much yet. I was just concerned about a couple of the heads on the sand looking happy but a little squashed. I did see bright yellow/charteuse piece the other day that looked pretty unique but I controlled myself.  Might have to go back.

Little pieces of shrimp and squid once a week or so. I tried little chunks of shrimp pellets but they spit those out. The plate and the hairy mushroom eat shrimp pellets though.

So yours spit out shrimp pellets too, eh?  Mine do the exact same thing.  

Dang, maybe I should try actual shrimp.   How many new heads have you gotten since you bought it?

It's probably added 4 or 5. I have a few that are not done splitting into 2 or 3 heads so I need to wait a few weeks for a count but he is clearly happy.  The heads are much bigger and fuller than when I got him too.

Archived