Innovative Marine Aquariums

How many fish in 20g high reef 1,2,3?

SnowReefer

I have a 20g high with about 30lbs of LR and will soon have many corals as well. Some say one fish maybe the common clown or could I go two clowns and another small fish....?? I have plenty of spaces and hiding spots..fish heaven now I need to know how many? Thanks ....maybe which ones do u have or recommend!

Trevor

I have a 24 gallon, and actually I have 5 fish... but 2 are neon gobies. :P I would recommend a pair of perc/false percs, neon goby, 6-Line wrasse, or basically any kind of goby or blenny. You also may want to look into a pusedocromis. Good luck!

cliffrouse11baseball

As i understand it is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. I think that is a little on the low side but if you have only 1 inch of fish per five gallons of water you will have no nitrate problem most likely. I think about 2 in of fish per 5 gallons and you will be fine....It all depends on water quality and aggresion. I would say go with a pair of perculas and maybe a goby or a blenny type fish. Or a percula and a sixline wrasse and a goby or blenny...

cliffrouse11baseball

As i understand it is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. I think that is a little on the low side but if you have only 1 inch of fish per five gallons of water you will have no nitrate problem most likely. I think about 2 in of fish per 5 gallons and you will be fine....

i have a citron goby and 1 false clown. i would add another clown but i don't want a pair mating and then kicking the shizit out of everything else in there including my hand!! so i am thinking of adding a banggai cardnial, maybe a purple firefish.

i am gonna go w/ 4-5fish in mine. i have a BIG skimmer for the size and am experienced so i don't think i will have a problem at all

Lunchbucket

I agree with sjpresley dont use length per gallon. Very inaccurate.

I belive the amount of fish also depends on your filtration and what else you keep in the tank coral inverts things like that.

In the end, the reason there will be no answer is that...it depends...on a lot of things. First, which fish you pick; second, your filtration; third, your feeding regime; forth, there has to be a forth......oh yeah, what else you have in the tank that adds to or subtracts from "the load".

NO 2 tanks are the same, some systems just handle a greater load better than others even if they are set up essentially the same.

Most people can take all of the parameters into account and say, "yes, that will work", or "no, that is too many fish" if you give them the tank size, filtration, and which fish...otherwise you'll just get a bunch of people shrugging thinking to themselves,"gee, I don't know, depends..."

I know this may not help much, but "asi es."

If you have a large refugium of say 10 gallons+ go for 3-4 fish. Remember that corals are generally dirtier than fish. I have a large coral load in my 29Gal and have noticed I can't have more than a few small fish in there without high nitrates. Remember crabs and snails are waste machines also. Unless you want very frequent water changes in a 20 reef. I wouldn't put in more than two fish of 2 inches or smaller in there. If you have a light coral load you could always add more fish.

i agree wit sos it depends on how careful you plan on watching your nitrates. if you want to change water 2 or more times a week, i would say put as many fish in as you feel comfortable with. if not however, two, possibly 3 small (approx 2 in) fish

gobies are very cool,green chromis are fun and neat to look at,

i have a tomato clown and he's the best fish ive ever had.

ive had him for 4 years and he will eat from my hand.

ive never had any other clown fish,but i can only assume they are all similar in nature. but in the end, its all about what you decide and feel comfortable with. don't let anyone else decide what goes in your tank. its your money and YOUR tank. make it unique!

:)

Sounds good I probably go with some type of clown as well as maybe a sixline wrasse or couple chromis. I think maybe four small fish or just 3 reg. Maybe a blenny , clown, chromis combo. Who knows. Just not too many!!I have some experience under my belt so I'm not terribly worried. I have always done much larger reefs. I remember LunchBucket from over 2 1/2 years ago I think on reefs.org. Take his advise he is pretty good! Beautiful tanks.

Corals are dirtier than fish? If you are referring to hygiene, that is probably so, if you are referring to waste production that is simply silly.

How often do you hear people say, "How many corals can I put in a COWLR (Corals Only With Live Rock)?" as opposed to the # of fish in a FOWLR? Never? Wonder why?

Corals add almost nothing to the bioload of a tank compared to a fish. Why? Because most corals kept don't require outside feeding and as a result produce relatively little metabolic waste.

In addition, hermits and snails are waste machines...the RECYCLE it. Most of the food they eat is either fish crap which wouldn't be there without the fish or algae that grow aided by the nutrients supplied by the fish crap.

Every see an ammonia spike after you added a couple corals? Wonder why?

Corals are dirtier than fish.....sheesh...

Archived