Pod Your Reef

Bonding and sealing plastic to glass.

stoney waters

stoney waters

OK, I need to know what type of sealant will bond and seal plastic to glass. I know there is something that works well. The makers of the Nano-Cube use something to seal the rear compartments to the glass tank. It is black, flexible and adheres extremely well to both the plastic and glass. Does anyone know what this could be?

Has anybody tried using urethane sealant, the kind used to seal windshields and sun roofs? I know this stuff will bond to anything, stays flexible and is waterproof. I just don't know if it is reef safe.

-Stone

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

nothing!

silicone will stick for a while, but you'll fine it will let loose within a year more times than not.

stoney waters
nothing!

silicone will stick for a while, but you'll fine it will let loose within a year more times than not.

I disagree. I know about silicone, but there is something. Its what holds the rear chambers of my Nano-Cube in place. I just don't know what it is.

masterbuilder

3M 5200 Marine Sealant is the strongest flexible sealant I know of. If it won’t stick, I don’t know what will. I will even cure underwater. Comes in black or white. Roughen up the edges with sandpaper to help it get a grip.

Seems to be similar to what you asked about.

I don’t know if its reef safe, but if you drop a note to 3M you will be surprised how quick they get back to you.

100% aquarium silicone sealant. (like from "AGA") GE brand silicone 1 or 2 not recommended.

excerpt from my earlier post:

To keep the algae from discoloring the clear silicone on the front corners from the lighting, i removed it, cleaned the glass carefully, taped off the glass and applied a bead of "AGA Brand" 100% black silicone to replace the clear. i have researched this issue on silicones, and the "GE brand silicone 1 and 2" are not of the same quality and strength. while they work, they are not recommended (just like it says on the tubes) for a reason. the shear strengh is not the same as is the adhesion. the "AGA" brand is of the same quality and is what aquarium manufactures use in sealing there tanks. It is the 'Ethyl Triacetoxysilane as acetic Acid that gives it its adhesion and strength. the GE types (less odor) uses Methoxypolydimethylsiloxane and silicas. these GE caulks do have excellent adhesion but not what aquariums need for long term exposure underwater. and nobody wants a seam leak a few months or a few years down the line.

Archived