inTank Media Baskets

yelloq tang in 20G?

Vish

Is it OKay to have a small yellow tang in a 20G, with a clown and one more fish?

The tank specs would be

20G, 24" CPR Refugium, skimmer, 175W metal halide with 2x28w true actinic, filter running with carbon, 2 power heads, heater, 40# LR and 30# LS.

While I think the needs of tangs are a hotly debated subject a 20 gallon would be cruel. I wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 75 gallon personally.

if you get a small one and you have the tank to move it to when it outgrows the nano, it isn't horrific. I might have to resort to that and I certainly have the tank space for the tang once it clears out the algae issues.

55g or higher only... They like plenty swimming space as well as hiding areas. This is a yellow tang of course and other species and your tank needs to be at least 75g and above some need asa much as 150g. I personally had a blue tang as well as a yellow in my 55g and they co-existed great. Fat-Happy fish.

i have a yellow tang in a 29 gal. hes doing fine, has gotten bigger. my friend has a yellow and 2 blue in his 40. they are doing fine. my other friend has 7 in his 125 gal. they dont seem to mind. having a small tang in a 20 is fine, even tho people might scream at you for it. its more of your preference. what people say, its just the NORM.

like how mandarins shouldnt be kept in anything smaller than a 60 gal tank with a lot of rocks. i have seen a mandarin doing fine in a 40 gal tank.

HuBu?

Arent you the same guy that just told me on the other board not to house a Mandarin in anything less than a 60g with a lot of live rock?

hubu's being a snob like me. :P it's just like my comment to reefan about the firefish in a 2.5g.

these situations aren't to be suggested for peeps starting out in the hobby as it is difficult enough on its own. hubu's been doing it awhile and has exp. reefers he's consulting with. reefan has macroreef exp. so they're not just jumping in.

if you can take care of it in a larger reef then i'd say go ahead and downsize it into a nano. if you don't have a larger reef try easier livestock and just tradeup as you gain confidence and exp. just my $0.02

Archived