Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Eclipse Lighting

KariE2B

I have a 30 gallon tank with an Eclipse 3 system. This seemed suitable when having a fish only tank, but recently I have wanted to add on a Protein skimmer and upgrade the lights. I know they have 55W retrofit kits, but with a 30 gallon tank that isn't even 2W per gallon....sooo, is it possible to house any kind of coral with that kind of lighting...and how does one add a protein skimmer to the tank since it is all enclosed? Should I just take off the Eclipse top and buy all new filtration and lighting?

Thank you for your help!

IMO retrofitting eclipse hoods are not worth the hassel. Dealing with heat and salt krep will drive you nutz! Get a couple powerheads and a jbj formosa with legs and be done with it. You can make some $$$ to fund your purchases by selling your hood on ebay. This is what I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey It seems we are in the same boat. I cut the back of my Eclipse3 Hood to fit the sea clone 100 protein skimmer on. I like too blow cash.......Stupidly I bought the retro fit kit 65w for the hood and now the watt ig is not enough. I going to cut my losses and wait a while to purchase anything else. Eventually I will purchase a standard hood of sourts that can acomadate the retro fit kit and add more lighting. I am wondering if I could support any corals under these conditions? Good Luck

Archived