Coral Vue Hydros

Please help! All fish gasping.

shrinky

I awoke this morning to find all my fish (scooter blenny, lawnmower blenny, 2 false percs, black ray goby) 'breathing' very hard - gasping as they swam around.

They ate when i dropped in food, but they are ALL behaving the same way - they are still moving around and acting normal, but the heavy gasping is really really starting to worry me.

I added a new powerhead which is creating more flow than before... it doesnt appear to be overwhelming, because they can still swim around comfortably and find refuge in low-flow areas.

Are they just stressed from the new flow? Params are all good.

Any suggestions or help would be great... i dont want them to die!

what is the size of your tank?

what is the sg level?

how long have your tank been setup?

when was your last water change?

i would do a watger change to be on the safe side.

What is your pH at?

it's a 20L, have had it going for about 3 months now, with a newly added 10-gal refuge... all params are fine except i think i found the problem... had a massive ph drop.

They are already looking better - much less gasping, lost one sexy shrimp though....

what is the best product out there to quickly and safely bring the ph back to an acceptable level?

it's a 20L, have had it going for about 3 months now, with a newly added 10-gal refuge... all params are fine except i think i found the problem... had a massive ph drop.

They are already looking better - much less gasping, lost one sexy shrimp though....

what is the best product out there to quickly and safely bring the ph back to an acceptable level?

i would first do a water change. about 30%. than test your ph.

PH Crash because of refuge addition? Scary.. Probably not enough Oxygen or a Calcium addition? If it happens again, Let me know what brand salt your using so I can stear clear... ;-)

what time frame are you running the fuge light, if it is on during the day all photosynthesis will stop once the lights shut off, and that will cause an increase in CO2 and a possible large pH drop. you should run the fuge like 24 hours a day, or on a reverse photoperiod with the display.

you cannot "quickly" bring any level up or down and still be safe for the animals.

reverse daynight on your fuge will help and using a kalwasser drip or A & B supplement daily will also help the pH for long term.

WAter aggitation (moving the top of the water so it ripples) will allow more eoxygen in and c02 out. if you have a fuge you dont nessecarily need to worry about it, but just throwing a powerhead in a tank may not help because its not doing anything to help your specific problem.

GL

Things have leveled out now a bit, thanks for the help - I will be changing the photoperiod on the fuge... although do you think 24 hours is too much if I have snails/hermits in there? don't they need some sleepy-time too? ;)

Archived