Innovative Marine Aquariums

What about this for a 'fuge plan?

darkgumby

I am planninng on getting a Via Aqua 11g tank.

For a 'fuge I want to use an Aqua Clear 500. I've tested the fit at the LFS and it's perfect.

The chamber on the filter is huge. I figure if I can slow the flow down enough (either by using the built in adjustment or cutting down the fins on the impeller, or constricting the intake) then it will make a nice 'fuge.

What would be a good target flow rate? Any idea how to measure it?

I think this would be better than buying a 'real' fuge (The 500 is only $30 at Big Al's), and for me it's much easier than other DIY 'fuges that I've seen.

I will probably need to add a baffle to keep the sand out of the impeller. But other than that I think it will be very easy to setup.

I'll light it with a PC desklamp or a clip on PC fixture.

Is there some sort of problem with using a HOB filter like the Aqua Clear that I don't see?

Is there another HOB filter that would work better and is around the same price?

Note: I might use the Aqua Clear 300 if it's big enough. I want to be able to stick a heater and maybe a skimmer (Coral Life SUPER SKIMMER I) in the 'fuge.

One more thing, where can I find the smallest (in length) 50 watt submersible heater?

I kicked around this same idea a while back. THe problem that I thought would be a biggest concern is modification of the impeller. When you cut it down of remove some blades, you also loose lifting power needed to get the water onto the 'fuge. I had thought of using a smaller impeller (mini or 150) in the bigger HOB, but never got around to seeing if it would fit. If you are in good with your LFS, maybe they would let you test the impeller idea, pre-purchase.

Another idea would be to completely disgard the stock impeller and push the water into the 500 using a small PH attached to the lift tube.

If you continue experimenting with this setup please keep us posted, this would be a great and easy DIY refuge.

6 inches was the smallest 50 watt heater I could find, I'll remember the name of the brand soon but I'm sure you can find a site that will list a 50 watt, 6 inch heater.

Spudds.

Oh, and I played around with adding live sand to an AQ 150 last night. Even after cutting two of the impellar blades off and switching it as low as it would go, it kicked sand into the tank at an incredible rate.

Spudds.

Originally posted by Spudds

6 inches was the smallest 50 watt heater I could find, I'll remember the name of the brand soon but I'm sure you can find a site that will list a 50 watt, 6 inch heater.

Spudds.

Hagen Thermal Compact

I believe the Visi Therm are short also.

Oh, and I played around with adding live sand to an AQ 150 last night. Even after cutting two of the impellar blades off and switching it as low as it would go, it kicked sand into the tank at an incredible rate.

I think you will have to put a baffle into the HOB to force the water up before it gets to the main area. As I recall, the water enters the HOB recepticle from the bottom so that it will go through the media before it gets to the overflow. This would pull the sand upward and out into the tank. If create a barrier to say, half way up or so, then the main force of the water would flow across the top and out creating more of a low current cyclicle effect toward the sand bed.

Uncle Ted

Thanks for the pointers on a short heater. I'll go find one.

I've got an Aqua Clear 150, an empty 10 gallon tank, and some sand. I think I'll see what kind of baffle I need to keep the sand in the filter.

If that works I'll order a 500 and then try the mod there.

I'll report on the results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
| ReEFnEwB1E |

I am going to run a Aqua Clear 500 on my 25 gallon. Heres what I think might work for you guys to keep sand from entering back into the tank~! First layer would be the LS or live sand. Second layer would be a Mosquito netting material placed over the sand and to top it off cut to fit eggcrate on top. After all this way it down with rubble rock and or LR. The mosquito netting is great cause all the beneficial worms still can breath and move around it~! I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

P.S.

Was wanting to know if you guys get bubbles back into main tank because of the water flow out of the HOB filter? How do you fixed that if it happens?

harbingerofthefish
Was wanting to know if you guys get bubbles back into main tank because of the water flow out of the HOB filter? How do you fixed that if it happens?

I did this little DIY project on my hob. Mostly to adjust flow direction, but it also keeps the micro bubbles down to a minimum.

HOB modification

Archived