SaltCritters.com

Valentini Puffer

Dazed1

I recently bought a Valentini puffer for my 20L tank. My tank has been established for about 5 month's now. No other habitant's in the tank. Since the valentini is small, it does not pick on any of the crab's or snail's. Good eater and very active.

I am having a hard time deciding on a few thing's. Not even sure if i should do these things or no.

Also please keep in mind that when the puffer get's big, or if I do decide to go fully reef, i will give the puffer away in summer :( (although i would not want to )

1) Can i add any coral's ? Maybe like polyp's, or Mushroom's ? (If puffer get's big and then nip's at them, i'm ready to give him to someone else, )

2) Can i add any other fish with him ? He's only abt 2" right now. I was thinking of either a Dwarf lion or a Flame angel. I would go dwarf lion only if i can't keep ANY coral's with the puffer. Else i would prefer a Blenny/Goby (for sand) and a Flame angel for color. I have Lots of hiding place's in my tank for the blenny/Goby.

3) the puffer eat's and love's Frozen Brine shrimp soaked in Garlic. Should I feed it anything else ? i tried flakes but he does not seem to like them at all.

4) I have good (decent) lighting for now, but do not add any addictives for coraline algae growth. I plan to do so today. Good/bad ?

Any other suggestion's would be really great. And i'm sorry to repeat these same question's if they've been asked before, but I could all/appropriate answer's via search.

As far as the dwarf lion goes, most will tell you that even a 20L isn't big enough for them. Everyone suggest at least a 30 gallon for them as they will still grow to at least 6 inches. Even if you get one very small, they apparently grow really fast.

agreed on the lion there.

also, valentini puffers don't get very big. at least ours didn't in the two plus years we had it (stupid mantis). I would say you won't have much of a problem keeping one for a long time in your reef. Not sure about the possibility of it nipping at corals,polyps, inverts as ours was very well mannered and never bothered anyone in the tank.

Thank's for the replies :)

yes, i know the lion will get big. I want to/will get a bigger tank. Only not soon (maybe 1yr down the line ? ). My puffer is also well behaved. I had striped Damsel's in with him for awhile and he kept away from it(gave the damsel's away to someone). The crabs are not bothered. I don't find it nipping the rock's either.

So do you guys think that going the Goby/blenny and Flame angel would be better ?

And call me scared/kiddish if u please, but i'm a little scared of lion's. :D Although they look really good, that's the only thing keeping me from getting any EVER. :)

I had a nice sized one in a 55 gallon fowlr a while back and he was harmless. the snowflake was what scared me. hell, it scared everyone, including the other fish. this bad boy was big.

the snowflake sarced u...lol...i have a 20 inch yellow head moray that took down a 10 inch red volitan....now here is an eel with some scaring abilities.......

Archived