Cultivated Reef

Sebae anemone ok in a 12g cube?

scarface84

Ok my cube has only been going for about 3-4 months now, but I transfered eveything from a tank I had running for two years. I was wondering if it would be enough room for a Sebae anemone, it has 48w of PC lighting. also would I have to spot feed it or add anything extra to the water?

thanks,

Jon

No. You dont have enough light for one. Best thing for anemone's are MH. Besides I heard that Sebae anemones are real hard to care for. Remember your tank has been up for only 3 to 4 months. You need a real mature and stable tank for an anemone.

BEST thing for anemones are to leave them in the wild for the generations of clowns to live in. Now that aside...

A 12G is way too small as they get HUGEEEE!!!!!! Also 48W of PC really doesn't give off enough intensity.

No. You dont have enough light for one. Best thing for anemone's are MH. Besides I heard that Sebae anemones are real hard to care for. Remember your tank has been up for only 3 to 4 months. You need a real mature and stable tank for an anemone.

You could certainly keep a smaller Sebae (3-6 inch diameter) for a while. However, they grow quickly if well fed and although they stay put, their growth leads them into the path of corals. If the anemone will have a home once it gets too big, then you can keep it alive in a Nano. Obviously, a Nano isn't ideal.

I miss my sebae, so does my ocellaris :(

It was purchased bleached white, and I found out afterwards that they were supposedly hard to keep - Mine, in a stock nano24 under 74watts coloured up beautifully in abt 3-4mths and grew and grew and grew! In the end I had to sell him as he was evicting all his neighbours :(

Mine positioned himself at the top of my tank, about 6" from the lights and looked very happy

My LFS had one in a 12gal cube, and when it died so did all of the fish but they also had a BTA in there which is still doing great. I have also had really good luck with BTA's so far in my 10gal AGA.

You could certainly keep a smaller Sebae (3-6 inch diameter) for a while. However, they grow quickly if well fed and although they stay put, their growth leads them into the path of corals. If the anemone will have a home once it gets too big, then you can keep it alive in a Nano. Obviously, a Nano isn't ideal.

Negative. An anemone in a 12g dx is a no no. Not enough light.

Negative. An anemone in a 12g dx is a no no. Not enough light.

I wonder whether this is the case - i remember seeing huge carpet anemones over 40cm across at approx 20m depth in the ocean - the light isnt that good down that far, even with sunlight. I think us nanoreefers hold on to others nostalgia a little too much from time to time. Of course there are some definate truths -

i remember also seeing staghorn coral in water approx 35-45m down - It starts to get really dark down that far....

• 10 months later...

It is easy to say something won't work, but when you have proof it does I would trust that over speculation. You could do a Sebae in a 12G Nano DX. I didn't say it was ideal, but if you feed it, and take it out prior to its attaining 6 inches in diameter, then that is fine.

My Sebae did beautifully in my 12 G nano and does much better than in my friends tank which has MH.

I wonder whether this is the case - i remember seeing huge carpet anemones over 40cm across at approx 20m depth in the ocean - the light isnt that good down that far, even with sunlight. I think us nanoreefers hold on to others nostalgia a little too much from time to time. Of course there are some definate truths -

i remember also seeing staghorn coral in water approx 35-45m down - It starts to get really dark down that far....

:bowdown:

Gili...PADI is going to have your soul for publicly saying you've been to 45m...last I checked...that's over the rec limit... ;).

And come to the Pacific Northwest...it starts to get dark in the water here at 5m...;).

Cheers,

Fred

yes, but you have to remember, in captivity, especially in a nano, sunlight isnt easily available, and trying to get a MH+ halide to be of the suns wavelength is a fireball- almost literally.I too am asking the same question :)

Archived