Coral Vue Hydros

Hardware Change/Repair

tinyreef

i was wondering (could've done this in pm but i figured better in public) if repairs or changes in equivalency to specific equipment was allowed.

for instance, if a bulb blew out i'd figure that's a no-brainer to allow switching a new one (not upgrade but just a replacement).

but what if the canopy broke? (which is my problem) is it ok for me to replace it with a new one? (annnd with a different design shape though) the present design is a bit fugly as dweak pointed out. :blush:

it's in a quasi-land of the rules (imo) because the canopy is both functional and decorative for me. i would think it's not a big deal, since it's not like i'm increasing the sun's power. heck, we'd all be trouble if i could do that.

well, at least a very select group of irritating people would be... sp0142_125.gifmagnifier + sun = muahahahaha!

...but i still wanted to double-check with the mods and fellow contestants.

if not, i can wait until the end of the contest (only 30-days left?). it's not like it's leaking or anything but the pita of the additional evaporation (from the larger crack) i'm experiencing and the itch to change the fugly design is considerable. :P

neanderthalman

In the meantime, why not build the new hood, and keep using the old one. When you get a ruling that it's safe to change it, then you can swap them immediately.

In the meantime, why not build the new hood, and keep using the old one. When you get a ruling that it's safe to change it, then you can swap them immediately.
that's basically what i was planning to do. i already ordered the acrylic sheet and was planning to fab it this weekend. but i figured i'd ask if i can do the switcheroo rather than wait until the 3/31 (or is it the 3/15?).

it's just the evaporation that's bothering me the most. i'm still trying to figure out the design of the new canopy as i might integrate an ato into it. i have an extra calireef ato lying around (not just a backup but a secondary backup!) so i'm just knocking around ideas in my head still.

i probably won't get around to really finish fabbing the canopy for another week or so either way but it'd be nice to be able to use it then versus waiting another two weeks or so. it'll just provoke my procrastination even more.

again, it's not a biggie for me other than the more topping off bs and i'd just like to clean up the "look" of the canopy with a sleeker design. tired of the "snoopy lid" look, i guess. :lol:

What are you planning for the new design? Some sort of curve?
as a matter of fact, yes!

when i did the first one i was still thinking artificial-lighting dynamics, i.e. straight down or symmetrical.

now that the tank's been up and running and i see how it reacts to the sun, i think an improvement (aesthetically and functionally) would be an asymmetrical design. still working out the correct/optimal curvatures and basic design in my head though.

e.g. not sure if i want a steep drop in the back, bowing curve or indented curve, also not sure of the height i'd want. also still kicking back and forth if i want two pieces or one large piece. halfsies is very convenient for quick access but a single part would cut down on evaporation.

but i think the basic lean-to design i'd like to switch to (versus the current steeple design) would allow better viewing from the top. currently, it's kinda crappy looking from above.

thanks for the support, shiv.

neanderthalman

I'm not seeing how different curvatures will improve the lighting. the acrylic has a constant thickness throughout, so refraction won't be affected.

I suggest going for a mathematical curve, like a circle or an ellipse (ellipse would be sweet). For some reason, the mathematical rules of shape and strength also conform to the hidden rules of beauty and harmony.

I'm not seeing how different curvatures will improve the lighting. the acrylic has a constant thickness throughout, so refraction won't be affected.
oh no, it's not like a dramatic increase in lighting or anything imo. i'm just giving benefit to the doubt that it may improve lighting a little since the angle of the tip is moved farther back.

the change in the peak point results in a greater area exposed towards the front. right now, half is exposed towards the front and half is towards the back (peak in the middle).

but most of the light actually comes thru the front side of the tank (normal viewing panel) so the canopy change doesn't really "help" the lighting thru too much. but i would say it does a little because i expect to be able to view from the top better with the new design.

it's like viewing a tank from the corner. with the new "lean-to" design, i'm basically re-locating that corner view and "exposing" more flat area.

and if that didn't explain it well ('cause i'm sure it suxed) just wait for the new design. i pic is worth a 1000-words. :P

neanderthalman

Go with an elliptical shape, it should allow for really good top-down veiwing without sacrificing the dripping of water back into the tank.

Come on....a nice molded acrylic top.....it'd be sexy........

Go with an elliptical shape, it should allow for really good top-down veiwing without sacrificing the dripping of water back into the tank.
yeah, nman, that was one of the shapes i was thinking of but then acrylic-fab reality set in. i can't form sh1t very well. so although i'd like a real cool slooping/swooshing shape, it just ain't gonna happen for me. :(

Come on....a nice molded acrylic top.....it'd be sexy....
actually, molding is my profession but i don't get hands-on and it's more for high volume runs, i.e. 10,000 units is a short-run production for me.

if this becomes a fad :bling: i could get to market faster and cheaper than anyone else though, including those taiwanese slackers over at taam. :P

below: this is the current candidate for replacing the steeple canopy. the ends aren't on yet (glued one side on today though) but so far it's a perfect fit. the steeple canopy had to be fitted a couple of times.

2006-0304-8.jpg

below: top-down view of the new version, much more viewing area and viewability than the steeple version which splits the view.

2006-0304-9.jpg

thanks, ann! i'm still trying a couple of thoughts though. i'm trying to incorporate an ATO and HOB into the new hood and drill a couple of access holes on the far end for the air-line and heater cord. i'm also hoping to find a smaller heater (fat chance).

but the ATO/HOB setup (emergency setup for a looming trip) looks so fugly. ugh! i might go without it after this business trip and try the new hood 100% as formed, but with sealed sides, of course. and just see how the evaporation is with a decently (almost hermetically) sealed top goes.

i do like the simplistic design so far. adding all the ATO/HOB contraptions really take away from the minimalist overall look imo. will advise.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, tiny...its time to defend myself. I don't think I ever said fugly, but it was close. I like the canopy much more than the old "snoopy house" one. It has a sleeker look. How's it workin' out for ya, as far as condensation, etc. goes?

hey, there's no need for you to defend yourself, it was fugly. :lol: i always admitted that. it was just functional. ;)

it seems to be working out pretty well (the new low profile one). i swapped out the high-peaked/2nd canopy pretty quickly. the condensation forms immediately and with the bubbling action it "scrubs" the canopy clean constantly.

i'd like a tighter air seal though but that would require even more acrylic work that i'm just not up for at this time. but so far the saran wrap measure is doing its job too. thanks for asking!

Archived