Cultivated Reef

How many clown gobies in a 10G?

Texex

Howdy Folks,

I'm still quite a newbie at this reef thing, so bare with me and my stupid question. I was wondering how many of the little clown gobies I can keep in a 10G tank. This tank has 15lbs of live rock, ~10-12 lbs of live sand, two aquaclear filters filled with live rock and has only been set up for about a month. Livestock includes, 3 austrea snails, 2 hermits, and a nassarius snail. Nitrates are around 5ppm and dropping, KH8, and pH around 8.4. I've been very slowly adding corals to the tank including green star polyps, a single mushroom, finger colt, and a rock of button polyps. Also have a couple of pulsing xenias I just got yesterday. Very small!

Anyways, is it possible to add another clown goby or a watchman goby or are those not good fish to mix. What are some other fish I might be able to add with the goby?

Thanks

Texex

A clown goby adds very little to the bioload of a tank, so adding another one wouldn't be a problem. Having a clown goby and a watchman also shouldn't be a problem, but individual temperaments of creatures can vary widely.

clown gobies will deffinatly mate in captivity, but it might be hard to get rid of all the babys without lossing money on all the food you will have to make for thge babies.

• 4 months later...

I guess getting 3 for a 10g would be a no-no unless I move the bullied one to another tank. Would this assure that the remaining 2 might be a pair?? Or could you add 1 and assume if they're OK its a pair??

Would a mated pair exist together in close proximity or just be peaceful in the tank??

Thanks!

well this won't work in the salt water world. but with african cichlids, when you buy juvie's you usually get 6 or more if you plan on mating them. that way you can be assure you'll get at least on male and one female. won't work in a nano. to small a container. just using that for an example. if you get three, they would all turn out to be males. that would really suck. if they were all femal i do no think it would be a huge problem. dunno. that's just a generalzation.

Archived