Pod Your Reef

ONe more thing about the fuge...

Iphantom

ok I have seen them and I have some questions...

I am going to pump it into the 'fuge with a powerhead but 1.shwhat do you mean by overflow? I dont get how it gets back to the tank another powerhead?

2.why does it need a heater...isnt it already heated from the main tank? and I thought you couldnt put heaters in acrilic or plastic tanks?

2.is lighting importent...it didnt seem to be-will a regular desk lamp do?

3.why did he(the guy who did the critter keeper one) drill holes in the sides why didnt he just put the tubes in from above?

4.How do I start to harvest micro alge?

I was planing on putting crushed fiji sand some live rock(like 3-5 pounds

what is that green stuff in the kritter keeper tank

it looks like some kind of plant-but I cant tell what-any info on those

hope you can anser all of my questions

thanks

-Matt

1) An overflow is what removes water VIA gravity. The body of water that is physically higher has an overflow so that whatever volume of water comes in from the powerhead goes out through this hole and into the other body. Two powerheads would be kinda disasterous if for some reason they stopped pumping the same amount of water.

2) You only need one heater, but clearly it needs to be big enough to heat the sum total of your connected bodies of water (refugium + tank). Most people put the heater in the refugium because they generally care about the appearance of their main tank but not so much about how the refugium looks.

3)The critter keeper guy, or Glazer (as we like to call him), drilled one hole for the overflow return and one for the input from the powerhead. The hole for the input is purely asthetic but there needs to be a hole for the overflow otherwise the whole idea just doesn't work.

4)Thread isn't infront of me, but I assume the plant stuff is probably macro algae. This is most likely what you want in your refugium to hopefully out compete prospective microalgae in your tank.

Hope this helps.

Spudds.

LMAO!

Spudds, ya almost scored a 10 with that response, gonna have to give you a 9.8 though... one tenth off for not covering the lighting issue (although that was question #2 - 2) and another tenth off for not identifying the "green stuff"...lol So, question #2-2, the lighting is a 13 watt 6500k PC in a yes, desk lamp. The "green stuff" *it's too late in the evening for me to bother with Latin* is some spaghetti macro and 'lerp...hehehe

All in all an excellent job though Spudds, thanks ;)

Signed your friend,

The critter keeper guy, or Glazer (as we like to call him),

(oh, and for your viewing pleasure, the infamous KritterKeeper)

thanks guys...

one more question

will the micro alge happen naturaly?

or is there something that I buy?

and what is that big white thing?is that a protien skimmer? I thought those where bad in a nano thus the need for a fuge?

where did you get your supplies? home depot?not really sure where I whould find the tubing.

do I absolutly NEED another PC light? is there any replacment?

sorry about all the questions but I want to do this right

thanks

Matt

Cunroe,

Heh, well I installed it all by myself if that counts. No, not a DIY although the Gatorade bottle skimmers work pretty much exactly like it...lol It's a genuine, imported from Germany, much talked about, elusive Sander's Piccolo skimmer. And as you can see it pulls out some bigtime goop.

I,

Uh, that wasn't ONE more question,hehe The MACRO algae, well you might get some that hitchhiked with your live rock.... usually better to just buy some. Get it at an LFS or cruise the boards for people selling it. The "white thing" I guess you are referring to is a protein skimmer yes. Good? Bad? Um, yet another opportunity for you to use the search button. I got hit with a really nasty hair algae attack after going through 5 gallons of some bad water used for topoffs and WC's. I put the skimmer on as well as beefed up my clean up crew and am now happy to report I am virtually "hairless", hehehe I left it (skimmer) on as I am training Chula my percula to do tricks...rewarding her as they do the dolphins, so I need not worry about all that extra feeding! *um,not...lol Just after seeing all the crap it pulls out I can't bring myself to yank it*

Oh, and finally.... you are trying to grow a "PLANT" in your fuge..yes, it needs some kind of light. Does it HAVE to be another PC? No... you could stick one of those funny colored light bulbs... um guess they call them Grow Lights over it if ya wanted. I just so happened to use a 12 dollar desk lamp that came WITH the 13 watt PC.

OK, now really finally... KritterKeeper from PetCo, tubing from Home Depot, bulkheads,pump and HOB from The Doctors.

I hadn't seen the Gatorade skimmers yet I guess I need to use that good old search button and check them out. I didn't know that a skimmer that small was in production. wow. the smallest I had seen was about 15" tall. HMMM.. Germany, Piccolo... any relation to the Piccolo micro r/c helicopter? J/K currently I don't have a Nano my wife is buying me a tank for my birthday in 2 months so I have been doing my research. I shouldn't need a skimmer in a nano reef with 1 or 2 fish but if it is needed I'm keepin the little bad boy in mind.

thanks glazer.. oh ya and I love all your wood working.. It's absolutly awsome

Chris

Originally posted by glazer

Cunroe,

Heh, well I installed it all by myself if that counts. No, not a DIY although the Gatorade bottle skimmers work pretty much exactly like it...lol  It's a genuine, imported from Germany, much talked about, elusive Sander's Piccolo skimmer. And as you can see it pulls out some bigtime goop.

Archived